Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DECterm needs to not show up unless tool has exited abnormally to show error messages

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Toler
Frequent Advisor

DECterm needs to not show up unless tool has exited abnormally to show error messages

I have a tool that opens a DECterm that is in the way, unless the tool terminates abnormally.

The reason for the DECterm is that it is there to report any error that occured from a previous abnormal exit.

Currently, the DECterm stays open with nothing in it. If I choose File--> Exit, then the tool that I am working with aborts.

If the tool does not exit/close abnormally, when I open the tool I would like to not see the DECterm at all. The only time I would want to see this DECterm is when the tool exits abnormally.

Can this be done using error handling?

If so, how would I implement?

If not, is there another way to accomplish this task?
1 REPLY
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DECterm needs to not show up unless tool has exited abnormally to show error messages

It depends.

In the tool startup, you could first start a process X. After normal termination you stop the process (e.g. by name).

The process X simply watches the tool process every seconds and when the process is gone, you create a decterm/detach.

Wim
Wim