108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DMG/FAX problem after upgrade OpenVMS from 7.3-2 to 8.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Desmond Or
Advisor

DMG/FAX problem after upgrade OpenVMS from 7.3-2 to 8.3

Our company use DMG/FAX software on our ALPHA system. I just upgrade our OpenVMS system from 7.3-2 to 8.3 this weekend. After the upgrade, I find that user cannot send FAX due to the error message "line has just been dropped" or "Sorry no lines for - FAXBOX". Does anybody has this experience? Or do we need any upgrade to DMG/FAX?
2 REPLIES 2
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Desmond,

I would have expected FAX software to be fairly ordinary user mode code. In theory, all it needs to do is send some bits down a serial line. It shouldn't be necessary to upgrade or change anything to go from V7.3-2 to V8.3.

Presumably the FAX is sent via a modem connected to a serial port? Can you check that the modem is connected, powered on, and can be accessed from OpenVMS?

Dig out your installation documentation and go through the steps to make sure it's all configured properly. If that fails, talk to the supplier.
A crucible of informative mistakes
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Desmond,

On reading your error messages again...

it sounds like the problem may even be beyond the modem, somewhere in your phone system? (I first thought "line" meant "serial line", but now think it's more likely to mean "phone line").

Have someone check that the phone cable is plugged in, correctly seated, and the line works (check it with a voice phone).
A crucible of informative mistakes