New Discussion юеВ

Re: DNS fails after reboot (URGENT)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

DNS fails after reboot (URGENT)

VMS 8.2, latest pathes applied.
After reboot, DNS fails. That is: TCPIP$BIND does run, but TCPIP SHOW HOST will just show the local database (HOSTS) but not the data in BIND. ANY translation will fail, wen requested form inside the network.

And REALLY: NOTHING changed in the BIND configuration prior to boot - iut has been up and running without a problem for over 70 days...

Can anyone give me a clue what's going on - and how to solve it.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

> State: Started, Disabled
> [...]

I don't know how it got that way, but you
might try:

@ sys$manager:tcpip$config.com

and go through all the BIND configuration
(again). I assume that the resolver is still
under "Core environment", and the server is
still under "Server components".
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Setven,
you got me on the right track.
Re-doing the BIND config itself didn't make a differennce, but I though a bit deeper: Since TCPIP SHOW CONFIG NAME showed it worked there, I issued TCPIP SET NAME .. with the proper qualifiers (/SYSTEM/ENABLE and all the rest) and I get my DNS data now.

Willem Grooters
BR878588

Hi Willem,

I have vague recollections of a similar problem back in V7.3-2 / TCPIP V5.4 when one of the TCPIP ECOs (ECO03?) triggered something similar. Might be worth reporting it as a possible bug.

Cheers, Colin.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I redid the TCPIP config but that didn't help. But restarting TCPIP - all of it - was slow in configuring devices - I have two NICS. That triggered a suspicion: I have two NICS in this sytem, and DECNet has been isnatlled and configured, but because the second NIC isn't connected yet, I disabled it in DECNet - and has removed the IP confuration. It turned that re-installing the second interace under DECNet and TCPIP had a termendous impact on TCPIP's startup, but DNS was still slow - my mistake because I specified the wrong server. After that had been fixed, it works as usual. Next, I could disable the second NIC (under DECNet) but DNS kept working.
A bug? I think so - TCPIP should get up without a problem, even with a non-initialised NIC; and BIND should just work in such an environment. I'd like to log a call, if only I had a support contract ;-(((
Willem Grooters