Operating System - OpenVMS
1753265 Members
5310 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DS10 No Longer Reading MO 600MB media and System Crashes when going from 7.3 to 7.3-2

Craig Rieger_1

DS10 No Longer Reading MO 600MB media and System Crashes when going from 7.3 to 7.3-2

I have been running into two problems when changing operating systems:

1) I can no longer read 600Mbyte 512k/sector magneto optical disks on a 2.3Gbyte drive.

2) When I have a SCSI disk mounted, and only when mounted, on an external bus on an LSI Logic 8952U card I get a SCSI bus reset when I issue a command from the IDE System disk that takes some time to complete.

I am limited in loading patches, as the distribution comes with an application from a control system vendor, so they only support a certain release. However, they have not tested the external SCSI bus with other than tape devices, other, and say my arrangement is unsupported. (Note that mounting a tape drive does not cause this problem.) Any recommendations would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: DS10 No Longer Reading MO 600MB media and System Crashes when going from 7.3 to 7.3-2

I think, we need some more information about your configuration.
How is MO disk connected?
Didn't you need special drivers to access the MO disk (we once had some and used drivers from USdesign)? May be you need a new release for the drivers too.

Is the LSI logical SCSI card officially suppored by HP?

regards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Craig,

if you could provide the CLUE file from the crash (found in CLUE$COLLECT:CLUE$node_ddmmyy_hhmm.LIS) or at least the output from

$ ANAL/CRASH SYS$SYSTEM
SDA> CLUE CRASH

as an attached .TXT file, I may be able to tell you, what kind of problem may have caused the system crash.

If you suspect hardware, consider to extract the errlog information from the crash and analyze it with DECevent of WEBES/SEA.

$ ANAL/CRASH SYS$SYSTEM:SYSDUMP.DMP
SDA> CLUE ERRLOG
SDA> EXIT

$ DIAGNOSE CLUE$ERRLOG.SYS
or
$ WSEA V /TRA/OUT=x.x CLUE$ERRLOG.SYS

Volker.