108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DS25 Problems...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

DS25 Problems...

I bought a one CPU DS25 on eBay. Before it was sent to me they removed the 2nd CPU and said they had made no other changes.
When I try to start it up I get
2 1 2 Beeps
1 3 3 Beeps
The first 3 LEDs are lite up, which makes no sense.

I opened the box and everything looks good. The remaining CPU is in slot 0. The 2GB of memory (4 x 512MB) are in memory array 0. There are no options in the PCI slots.

Any ideas
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
13 REPLIES 13
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

2-1-2 says Configuration error on CPU or system configuration error.

1-3-3 says No Usable memory detected.

L1, L2, L3 lit up means Bad RMC Flash

I just pulled those off the owner's manual.

I'd say check and reseat the memory dimms first.
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I have the same manual and I am aware of what the beeps and leds mean.

I reset all the memory before I posed the forum questions.

Any other ideas?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
cnb
Honored Contributor

Which model A or B?

Have you tried to access the system through RMC? If nothing works RMC should answer up with just AC plugged in. Check the system using env and status commands in RMC.

Chapter 6:
http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/download/ek-ds250-ug-d01.pdf

If RMC corruption is suspect, then check the system modules jumpers and switches to make sure they match the correct system configuration for the CPU installed per the service guide. You may have to reflash the system from Fail-safe mode.

HTH,

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I've not tried to run an AlphaServer DS25 with one CPU.

And with what the occasional misadventures that can arise with eBay and with shipping and with the removal of the CPU, the operational pedigree of the hardware here is somewhat questionable.

Burn a current AlphaServer firmware CD-ROM.

Use the failsafe loader (FSL, or sometimes Failsafe Boot FSB) to re-flash the system, and to also reset the RMC to factory.

Details of both are in the AlphaServer DS25 User's Guide.

Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I have changed the FSB jumper and got the same response - nothing at the console still.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>I have changed the FSB jumper and got the same response - nothing at the console still.

To confirm the "nothing" here and the status, you're on the COM1 serial line, you've reset the RMC to factory, and you've tried to reload the firmware using the FSL, and you've (still) received a fault indication?

If so and then based on your other comments around re-seating all modules, etc, then I think the box is busted. Or it considers itself busted, due to the removal of the CPU.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Have you tried connecting a serial terminal to the *modem* (bottom or left 9-pin rs-232 depending on system orientation) port (9600,8,N) and issuing the RMC sequence per the manual?

^[^[ rmc

This *should* get a response as long as AC is plugged in.

Hope this helps.
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

You've mentioned that you get no console response, but have you actually tried to get to the RMC? Press ctrl-[ ctrl-[ RMC (to get the RMC prompt.)
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

Just to refresh evryones memory as to what I have tried:

System gives series of beeps. No response at console.

1) System down. Poser on. Connect serial terminal (Reflections - I have used it as a console on other computers)(null-modem) to port 1. clrl[ ctrl[ RMC gives me no response from computer. I have not set RMC switches to default.

2) Changed FSB jummper J25 to 2 & 3. System gave me same beep errors as before. No response at console terminal.

3) Tried other memory - as before.

Any other ideas?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting