108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DST Patch for TCPware on OpenVMS 6.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Rudgers
Advisor

DST Patch for TCPware on OpenVMS 6.2

Just was notified there was a patch out there for TCPWARE 5.62 for DST... it talks about NTP being updated in the patch... if NTP is not running on the server is this patch necessary for DST compliance? See Readme from patch xntp_v562p011.zip.

XNTP Patch kit (revision 1.1) for TCPware V5.6 6-Feb-2007 : Copyright (c) 2007 by Process Software Corporation ; This VMSinstallable saveset provides a patched version of = XNTP for TCPware for OpenVMS. XNTP must be shut down before > installing. This patch supports TCPware V5.6 on all supported versions of OpenVMS. 4 This patch kit provides the following files:
NTPD.EXE TIMEZONES.DAT - The following changes have been made: 8 - Support US 2007 Daylight Saving Time rules (DE 10463)1 - Support Canada 2007 Daylight Saving Time Rules 6 The old version of the .EXE FILES will be renamed to # TCPWARE_COMMON:[TCPWARE]*.EXE_OLD. , After installing the patch restart NTP with @TCPWARE:RESTART NTP > Once installed, you may undo this patch by shutting down NTP,1 renaming the following files and restarting NTP:
Rename To ---------------- ------------ NTPD.EXE_OLD NTPD.EXE 5 Note that all files are in TCPWARE_COMMON:[TCPWARE]. I If you have previously received instructions from Process Software H on doing this manually with TCPWARE:TIMEZONES.LOCAL, then you may4 no longer need to use TCPWARE:TIMEZONES.LOCAL
6 REPLIES 6
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Re: DST Patch for TCPware on OpenVMS 6.2

What do you mean by "DST compliance"?

If you aren't running NTP, then there must be some other mechanism in place to change the system time on the appropriate date. You'll have to check to make sure that this is correct.

The patch also supplies a new TIMEZONES.DAT, which is used in setting various logicials for things like SMTP. Having the SMTP time zone logicals off won't cause any problems other than a little bit of confusion as to when users think that mail was sent or received.
Kenneth Rudgers
Advisor

ok how do I verify whether NTP is running... I did a sho sys and didnt see anything specifically showing NTP... I mean if I have ot apply the patch no big deal just want to make sure... your insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

When you do a
$ SHOW SYSTEM
do you see a process named TCPware_NTPD? That's NTP.
Or do:
$ search tcpware:tcpware_configure.com ntp
If you see the definition of NTP_ENABLE == 1
then NTP is enabled.
Kenneth Rudgers
Advisor

results:

FUSION[COM]>search tcpware:tcpware_configure.com ntp
$! *** NTP parameters ***
$ NTP_ENABLE == 0
$ NTP_WAYTOOBIG == 4000

So does this mean I need to worry about his patch or no? Just want to be sure...

Thanks
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would say that you do not need to worry about the patch. Something else is maintaining the system time.
Kenneth Rudgers
Advisor

THANK YOU!!!