108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DST Scripting in a Cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jack Trachtman
Super Advisor

DST Scripting in a Cluster

We have a standalone node where DST change is handled manually. The script we've used for years by our operators does the following:

$ UTC$CONFIGURE_TDF := -
$SYS$SYSTEM:UTC$CONFIGURE_TDF.EXE

$ UTC$CONFIGURE_TDF "SET" "-420" "+60" -
"SYS$COMMON:" ""

$ (restart NTP here)

My question is: this year we also need to do the change manually on a 2-node cluster. Can the operators simply run the script on each cluster node, or should I script SYSMAN to do both cluster nodes simultaneously? TIA
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DST Scripting in a Cluster

What OpenVMS version, and is it matched to current?

Current versions generally deal with this stuff correctly, and automatically.

Changing the times simultaneously or near-simultaneously isn't a big difference; if the boxes derail or the times are skewed, it's usually due to something (else) that happens during the change-over. (Like CMS access, for instance, or batch job that are kicking off; those can get into trouble during a cluster time skew.) So yes, better to have the changes occur closer together.

I'd tend to use the provided DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM (sic) command procedure, or use the UTC$TIME_SETUP.COM procedure to make the change. Going directly after the underlying pieces isn't usually a good idea. (Unless HP has changed how this stuff works, and is now recommending this approach.)

Or you can forget this particular idea (DST) and move the box to UTC, and leave it there permanently.

http://64.223.189.234/node/72
Jack Trachtman
Super Advisor

Looks like the HP supplied script is better than mine ;) so we'll use it. Thanks.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Make *sure* you're patched to current for whatever release is in use, as there *have* been bugs here. And it would not surprise me that there are *still* bugs here.