1753479 Members
4980 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DST change in EMEA

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I suspect Andy was aiming at the AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV system parameter with that reference to DAYLIGHT_TIME_SAVE.
tsgdavid
Frequent Advisor

I do not believe that there is any automatic daylight saving time change in the stated VMS versions (v5.5-2 through V7.2-1). The SYSGEN paramter AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV will not exist.

You should look for SYS$EXAMPLES:DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM or some other procedure that has been used on the systems in the past to manually make this change. This command procedure invokes SYS$MANAGER:UTC$CONFIGURE_TDF.COM which I don't think will work on VMS 5.5.

As far as I know, you have to set the correct offset from GMT for most if not all of the previously mentioned facilities to set the correct time. If you simply set the system time NTP (for example) will reset the time back to the previous offset.

Dave Williams
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Given the amount of variation in your systems, and Network software, I would suggest that you do the following.

1. Shutdown your Primary applications ~15 minutes before the time change is scheduled to occur.

2. If any of your systems are running NTP, then stop the service.

3. Wait until ~30 minutes after the time change was due to take place and then just check your systems to see what actually happened (in most if not all cases I would expect the answer to be nothing.) Now set the time to the correct (new) time.

4. Execute

@SYS$MANAGER:UTC$TIME_SETUP "" "RULE"

on all nodes where the time was changed. This will reset the TimeZone Logicals and time differentials.

(I cant guarantee that this procedure exists on the older versions of OpenVMS. (My hair is grey, my eyes are dim, etc. etc.)

5. When you are satisfied that the system times are correct, restart your apps.

Dave.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Dave & Dave:

As the Dutch say: "That is serving mustard after the meal has been eaten".

It was needed in the night from 30 to 31 october....

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
tsgdavid
Frequent Advisor

> As far as I know, you have to set the
> correct offset from GMT for most if not
> all of the previously mentioned facilities
> to set the correct time. If you simply set
> the system time NTP (for example) will
> reset the time back to the previous offset.

Assuming that your VMS 5.5 system does not have NTP or DTSS running or anything else that cares what the TDF (offset from GMT) is it might be safe to just use the SET TIME= command to set the current system time on that one system. If you have a way to set the TDF, you should do so in case anything cares. For example, C language RTL routines may return the wrong local time if the TDF is incorrect even when the system time is correct.

Dave

Joewee
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone for your time and input on this.

Every server in this environment was configured with NTP. Except one which had DTSS

I assumed that NTP would do the time adjustments by syncing with the time server and I waited for few minutes but it did not happen.

Then I went through some documents from HP which clearly mentioned that NTP will not take care of DTS time change, and it should be done manually by running the script " sys$examples:DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM;1".

I ran this script which did the work for me and also it mentioned that I need to restart NTP service after doing that, coz if the time difference is more than few seconds the sync will be lost with the time server it seems, so I restarted NTP. Everything was fine.

Only in version 5.5 this procedure was missing "sys$examples:DAYLIGHT_SAVINGS.COM;1"
I had to go in to the sysman and set cluster environment and in sysman> configuration set time "-01:00".

Today morning the business started and everything went on perfectly normal.

Thanks again for all your inputs.