Operating System - OpenVMS
1752570 Members
5337 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DVE - 7.3-2 Volume should, but won't expand...?!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

DVE - 7.3-2 Volume should, but won't expand...?!

We have a shadow set that cannot be dynamically expanded with set volume/limit. According to show device/full, they have an expansion limit of 2147450880 blocks, and a cluster size of 8, so I believe it has the new bitmap.sys, but when "set vol/size" is issued, I get the "NOTPRIVATE, device must be mounted privately" message and no expansion occurs. Both shadow members were expanded at the SAN level prior to issuing the command. We expand volumes somewhat routinely, so this is unexpected. The two members are on an eva5000 and an eva8000.

Anybody seen this and have an idea what might be happening? THANKS.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DVE - 7.3-2 Volume should, but won't expand...?!

Tom,

Please forgive me for asking, but how is the volume mounted (system-wide, cluster-wide, or private) when this error occurs?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Tom,

There are two steps required to expand a volume. First you need to enable DVE with SET VOLUME/LIMIT - this requires the volume be mounted privately. You can then issue SET VOLUME/SIZE to expand into additional space. Of course, for a new volume you can INIT/LIMIT to enable it from the start.

From your message, my guess is this is an older volume, which hasn't had the /LIMIT issued. I don't think the presence of an expansion limit in SHOW DEVICE is proof that it's been done.

Further, after adjusting the space on the SAN you may also need to do "something" to make OpenVMS aware of the additional space. I think this may be more automatic in V8.2 and above (V7.3-2 is really the first cut of DVE and is missing a few bells and whistles).

Perhaps if you post the exact command and the exact and complete error message?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Hi guys, the problem has been found, and it is that...

I'm an idiot:-)

I didn't actually TYPE set volume/size, I typed set volume/limit.

I'll slink queitly away now.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

I meant quietly :-) (yeash!)