Operating System - OpenVMS
1752510 Members
4835 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Client for OpenVMS V5.5 (DP V5.5)

Burkart Beat
Frequent Advisor

Data Protector Client for OpenVMS V5.5 (DP V5.5)

Hi there

I have some discs containing directories with more than 10000 files each. The whole disc has about 90000 files in total (4.5GB) The backuptime is about 6-8 hours for a disc!!! (aprox. 190KB/s)

If I save 275GB database discs (150 files) I have about 3 hours doing 100GB/h

Any idea, what to do, speeding up the process. But please, do not tell me to have only directories with less than 2000 files, it's not possible!

Best regards
Beat
11 REPLIES 11
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi
See this link to read some considerations about backup performance.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=943200

Saludos.
Daniel.
Burkart Beat
Frequent Advisor

Hi

No! That's not the point. Doing an ordinary OpenVMS Backup (/Image) this disc is saved in less than an hour... So it has something to do how Data Protector is doing the job! I think after reading one file from the directory, it always sorts his internal list, then reading the next file...

regards
Beat
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi
But the article included contains some discussion about BACKUP perfomances

See:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/aa-pv5mj-tk/00/01/117-con.html#proc-sec

Saludos.
Daniel.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Another discussion on Data Protector can be found at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=939153

As is stated there, Data Protector is very recent to VMS (I don't have any experience with it). So it might be useful to contact HP directly.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I would not call it 'very recent'. I've talked to an engineer who worked on the port and that was definitely 2+ years ago.

Now, if you were talking about the entire timeline of Omniback/Data Protector, with that I can agree.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It may have to do how the backup is done. BACKUP on a file-by-file basis will take a lot of time, certainly if these are (very) small (50K compared to 1.75Gb makes a difference) and you use a streaming tape (most are, am I right?). It may be that an image backup is much faster in your case, but I may be mistaken there.
Perhaps you should consider another backup-approach: if you have diskspace available, it might be feasable to backup the files to disk first (in a separate saveset per directory, for example)) and copy that onto tape. This disables direct restore, but will speed up writing the backup to tape.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Burkart Beat
Frequent Advisor

@William

This is exactly the problem! The /image option is NOT available using the DP-Product. Not to mention, that OpenVMS System discs are not saved very properly (using of WRITEBOOT.EXE is needed)

So considering, that I must save these disks first to another disc is just out of discussion, because then I write my data directly to tape using OpenVMS Standard Backup and save time and money...!

If HP really want to sell this product there must be at least equal run times compared to the "free" product...

Beat
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If I remember, DP by default uses a rather small number of buffers. Can you try increasing the number of buffers?

DP can also multiplex the data from several disk agents, but if the input is a single disk or even a single directory I am afraid that won't work.
Burkart Beat
Frequent Advisor

Attached you find a logfile! It describes exactly what the software is doing - be aware, the tape device is attached locally to the system...