marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Data recovery help

carlotta,

by jukebox you meant a disk array yes. can you do a 'dir sys$system:hsz*.exe'

Hoff
Honored Contributor

There's no Jukebox listed in that log file.

That looks like a fairly normal AlphaServer DS20e box, with storage on an HSZ80 series controller, a CD, and a DLT tape drive. There are a few other widgets there.

I see a bunch of SCSI buses, which implies the jukebox widget might be a SCSI widget, and might not be powered up, might be disconnected, or might have otherwise failed.

What's the name, part number and/or model number of the jukebox?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

At some point you will need to bring in outside help so do start arguing for the money now. Either your management convince the auditors that they don't need to recover those records or they find the money.

The results of
$ PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY
would be interesting

carlotta,

do :-

$ sh dev g

would be the controller for some of the smaller
tz type libraries.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Carlotta,

I will agree with Hoff, staying native on OpenVMS is the only way to proceed. Switching to a *IX or Windows platform will only increase the complexity of the task, in myriad ways.

Without examining the files in detail, it is a VERY STRONG presumption that the records are merely there for the taking. I have seen many applications where the "records" are segmented into several related files (serving purposes similar to tables in a RDBMS). Putting things back together will require a bit more work.

I agree with those who suggest "retain expertise". There are a multitude of ways to get into very deep water. If the firm truly needs to retain these records, then expertise is highly recommended. It will be far difficult, neigh impossible to recover the information without a knowledge of OpenVMS and how the information could reasonably be stored. Having resurrected and reverse engineered extinct systems, even with that knowledge, it can be a challenge.

Of course, the obligatory disclosure that we provide services in this area, as does Hoff and others.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

carlotta,

it's not just the software, all your disks show 300 errors - possibly disk controller related. so your hardware may need some tlc too !

Carlotta McCormick
Occasional Advisor

Ok, you've convinced me that this is going to require help. I'm going to stop here, and go beg my management for money to get this done right if they need those records. I do thank you for all of your input, but I'm way over my head with this one!
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

carlotta,

good luck, it's the sensible thing to do.

EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

Hello Carlotta. I've worked with jukeboxes on OpenVMS fairly recently. If they're the standard HP-branded jukeboxes, and if they are powered up and connected to the system you will see them when you do a SHOW DEVICE OD after you login. Can you attach that listing?

If they are there and they are mounted, they will most likely be on a normal OpenVMS filesystem format and would be accessible easily.
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

While the 'virtual' devices show up as OD... the actual drives show up as OM...

Edwin