4018 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data transfer bewteen Windows and Personal Alpha

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sam Zhang

Data transfer bewteen Windows and Personal Alpha

How to transfer the data from Windows to Personal Alpha on the same computer?

I installed Personal Alpha and OpenVMS Hobbyist kit. After this I downloaded certain OpenVMS layer products such as CONNX RMS server, Oracle RDB and IBM MQ from Web to Windows, but have problem to ftp the packages to the virtual disk in Personal Alpha. Could anyone help me here?
9 REPLIES 9
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

I don't know Personal Alpha, but I assume that it offers a tcp/ip connection between the host PC and the virtual alpha.

Have you configured tcp/ip in VMS yet? (For that matter, have you installed the layered product licenses yet?)

To configure tcp/ip, log in as system and type @TCPIP$CONFIG, and answer the questions.

Have fun.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

As the previous message points out, you'll need to install some sort of transfer method. TCPIP and ftp are one example.

>>>but have problem to ftp the packages

What sort of problems? Have you installed and configured TCPIP? (@sys$manager:tcpip$config).

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Sam Zhang

I did install TCPIP and enabled FTP and telnet. I could ping ESA0, but I could not ping the network adapter (I used Windows Loopback adapter)configured by Personal Alpha.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I did install TCPIP [...]

Great. Now, if we knew anything about how
it's configured on the Windows system and on
the Personal Alpha, then we might be able to
make some useful suggestions.

> I could ping ESA0, [...]

As usual, actual commands with their actual
output can be more helpful than vague
descriptions and interpretations.
Kees L.
Advisor
Solution

I suppose you read the documentation on http://www.emulatorsinternational.com/docs/PersonalAlpha/help.htm ?
In the bottom of this document is a very usefull description of howto share your local network interface.
My personal personal alpha :-) I configured on M$ XP with: Mapping to host adaptor: Mac Bridge Miniport; Mapping Mode: Shared. The Network Bridge then gets an IP address (in my case 192.168.120.1, mask 255.255.255.0) and the Alpha I gave address 192.168.120.2. As far as I can recollect I didn't have to do anything more to make my local machine connect to the personal alpha and make FTP possible.
Don't forget to install the IDLE-package on the personal alpha because otherwise your CPU will remain at 100%.
p.balamurugan
Advisor

while starting personal alpha you need to map the local network card. If local network card is connected to any network. You can configure the ip address in personal alpha OS. After you Configured IP. It can be accessed from other node and not from the personal alpha node itself. If you are products are in CD-Rom. You can map your CD-Rom device.
Sam Zhang

I will give a try by following Kees' comments to set up a bridge between 2 loopback adapters. Not sure if this will address my issue. In the past, I gave IP 192.168.1.10 to ESA0 and IP 192.168.1.100 to the loopback adapter, after I started Personal Alpha, I could not ping the loopback adapter IP 192.168.1.100 from Personal Alpha. Here are the IPs I have or will set up:

Personal Alpha
===============
ESA0: 192.168.1.10
Loopback Adapter1: 192.168.1.100

Host
====
Local Network IP: 192.168.1.26
Loopback Adapter2: 192.168.1.99
Bridge btw 2 Loopbacks: 192.168.1.98

I suspect even I set up the bridge IP as 192.168.1.98, still I will not be able to ping the bridge from Personal Alpha.

Sam Zhang

Here are results by following Kees' suggestion:

From Personal Alpha:

I could Ping ESA0 192.168.1.10
I could not ping loopback adapter 192.168.1.100
I could not ping the bridge 192.168.1.99

From host PC:

I could ping loopback adapter 192.168.1.98
I could not ping loopback adapter 192.168.1.100
I could not ping the bridge 192.168.1.99

Regards,
Sam
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Kees:

I know your post is quite old - 2009 - but I am having a similar problem and can not seem to get a connection through the loobback adapter to any other network environment so as to get to the Host Windows environment.  Now I am using Windows 7 so it is a bit newer but...  I am not wondering if the NDIS Packet interface is an issue.

If anyone else has some thoughts here I would appreciate it as well.  This is a PersonalAlpha on Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks,

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC