3910 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Daylight Savings time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nancy Guyette

Daylight Savings time

Are there any changes to be made to Open VMS servers running 7.3-2 to have the automatic Daylight Savings Time date change run on the new date in March 2007?
11 REPLIES 11
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Yes. VMS732_TZ-V0300 can be found here in ITRC. No reboot necessary.

Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Hi Nancy,

welcome to the OpenVMS itrc forum!

You probably need to check firstly whether your system is set for auto daylight savings time changes

EURO> mc sysgen
SYSGEN> SH AU*
Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
-------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- -------
AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV 0 0 0 1 Boolean
SYSGEN> HELP SYS_PAR AUTO

Sys_Parameters

AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV

AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV is set to either 1 or 0. The default is 0.

If AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV is set to 1, OpenVMS automatically makes the
change to and from daylight saving time.

You should also check that you have the appropriate patch kits for new time zones as indicated above.

Depending whether you have DTSS or NTP set up, you may have to check other steps.

You do not indicate whether you have either DECnet or TCPIP networking on these servers.

See this document for details of time setting for your system:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-pv5mh-tk/aa-pv5mh-tk.HTMl

Regards,

Duncan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

You can of course also submit a batch job at the correct time that will change the time.

Whatever solution, you may have side effects if the application and/or VMS are not ready for it (I have looping symbionts, aborting middleware etc).

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

See also

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/dst.html

You may also need the current ACRTL kit.

I have two other servers that are still running 7.1 - I have been changing them manually by running the 'daylight_savings...procedures' - will it be ok to continue doing that on these two servers without installing any patches? They are very outdated with software versions.
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Hi Nancy,

there should be no problems with the older systems. As you are already handling them manually, you can continue to do so.

Duncan
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You can certainly change time manually on your older versions of VMS. As Wim points out, you can submit a batch job if your applications allow for a time change.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Hey Nancy,

A very good alternative is to modify the older systems using DTSS and the newer systems using NTP with automatic daylight savings. I never had any problems using DTSS but the NTP version systems kept giving me headache. The last system I had, all the nodes (4) where configured the some only two of them where going alright, the other two stayed at the old time. Ofcourse you can imagine the problems this can (and will) give.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !