108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DecNet Plus & TCPIP

SOLVED
Go to solution
XMAN_1
Advisor

DecNet Plus & TCPIP

Can DecNet Plus & TCP/IP be installed together?

Will DecNet Plus alone can support TCP/IP or not?
5 REPLIES 5
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

XMAN,

Yes, both can be installed together, and DECnet over TCP/IP requires that you have a supported version of DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS and a supported version of an industry standard TCP/IP stack, like Compaq TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

XMAN,

Yes these two products can be installed together. I don't think that DecNet Plus has a TCP/IP stack as part of it so I don't think DecNet Plus can support TCP/IP alone.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

XMAN,

We don't need any other s/w for this.

DECnet over TCP/IP is not just another tunnel or gateway between one protocol and another. Unlike tunnels, there is no duplication of function between the upper layer applications and the lower TCP and IP layers. When using DECnet over TCP/IP, the flow-control and error-recovery mechanisms are those of TCP and underlying IP. As a consequence, there is no inherent performance overhead with running DECnet over TCP/IP, unlike that which is found in tunneling solutions.

Equally important, DECnet over TCP/IP does not define a gateway between the DECnet and TCP/IP worlds. Systems running DECnet over TCP/IP are still DECnet systems ; they just use TCP/IP (along with other protocols) for DECnet communications, while not interfering with "pure" TCP/IP communication from TCP/IP applications on the same systems.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
XMAN_1
Advisor

Thanks a lot Guys!
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

For more information on DECnet/Plus and DECnet over IP see the following presentations by Colin Butcher (well known VMS and networking consultant)

http://www.downloads.xdelta.co.uk/bootcamp%20jun2005/i220_decnet-plus_issue_1-1_10jun2004.pdf
http://www.downloads.xdelta.co.uk/vmstjv5%20feb2005/decnet%20article%20vms%20tj%20v5%20feb2005.pdf