1753682 Members
5622 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DecNet over IP.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

DecNet over IP.

Can DecNet over TCPIP be configured using DecNet Phase IV and TCPIP Services? (I would rather not move to DecNet-OSI unless I absolutely have to.)

Dave
6 REPLIES 6
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: DecNet over IP.

Dave,

If you want DECnet over IP and you stick to HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, you have to forget about DECnet Phase IV and switch to DECnet V.
However, I think Multinet can do DECnet IV over TCP/IP (although I'm not sure).

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Walter Miller_1
Valued Contributor

Process Systems's TCPWARE will also do DecNet Phase IV over TCPIP.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

It's been 10 or 15 years since DECnet-Plus first appeared. It was bad to start with but its fine now. Perhaps you ought to look at it? :-)

TCPWARE does tunnelling of DECnet over IP - I have used that in the past and it was fine but I'm not stuck on VMS V5.5-2 any more so use DECnet-Plus and HP TCPIP which works fine.

This is probably the only reason to move to Phase V at this time, if you don't move to the Process IP stack.

Or you tunnel DECnet over IP using external gear, or you bridge the LAN (over IP). More than a few enterprise routers have these capabilities.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

I have used DECnet (Phase IV) over IP in the past using various versions of MultiNet (TGV -> Cisco -> Process Software). It worked well for us and I found it to be rather easy to configure. We used it on a customer WAN where most of their routing equipment did not recognize DECnet protocols.

Allan in Atlanta
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Thanks to you all for your comments. We have decided to take Ian's advice, bite the bullet, and move to DECnet Phase V.

I expect to have additional questions later, but for now, fasten the blindfold and step down the plank.

Dave