108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Decnet PDP11/93 (RSX11M+)

SOLVED
Go to solution
pietro60
Advisor

Decnet PDP11/93 (RSX11M+)

if I transfer a file from a PC Windows to PDP by kermit there is not problem, instead if I transfer the file from a PC windows to PDP by decnet (I use pathwork)one error appear and I don't know how can I solve the problem.
I heve tried to transfer the file by ncp copy/ image commad ( I used DOS shell) but the file on the PDP it is not the same like the file transfer by Kermit.
Please suggest to me what I can do.
20 REPLIES 20
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Pietro,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum.

Although some of us may still remember RSX11M+, I'm not sure how well we can help you.

But you can help us by exactly describing the command you've issued and the error message received. Please cut and paste the error message or at least make sure, you provide it literally correct.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Continue to use Kermit?

The PDP11 operating systems including RSX and the PDP11 hardware all went to Mentec eons ago. HP and Compaq have never had anything to do with these software and hardware platforms, and there are comparatively few Digits left around with any experience with the PDP gear.

Put another way, I doubt you'll get much traction between the teams for the PATHWORKS 32 client for Microsoft Windows and the Mentec folks through use of this OpenVMS forum.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Pietro,

What is the problem with the file when it arrives on the PDP side? Please use the DMP utility (available in DCL as the DUMP command).

KERMIT does have the capacity to do formatting conversions, this can be desirable or undesirable, depending upon the context.

And yes, as Hoff has noted, this is not really the correct forum, but some of us do remember our RSX-11.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
pietro60
Advisor

Here the error message attached.
My target is to transfer by DECnet the file in binary way like via Kermit and receive the file on the PDP in the same format.
Instead if I trasfer the file by NFT COPY-IMAGE name_file, the files on the PDP seem the same but really is little different.
Is it possible to compare the files transfered on PDP?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

pietro60,

Thank you for the screen shot of the error message. Unfortunately, the actual error codes are not provided in that display. The error message is a rather generic "Error".

My first step would be to check the PDP-11 system for a log file that includes the actual DAP error code returned (DAP is the protocol used by DECnet for remote file access and transfers -- Data Access Protocol). DAP is a bit more sophisticated than FTP, as it allows access to data items smaller than a file. It also has a wide repertoire of possible error messages. I do not have the citation "at hand", but I recall that the DAP specification is actually available on the www.

Without the more detailed data, the failure could be caused by almost any problem. As I noted earlier, use the DMP utility to print out the contents of the file and compare it with the version on Windows.

pietro60
Advisor

Thank, for your suggestion, partocularly the DMP command, but if compare the DMP files are exactly the same, probably when run the command SHORT to covert the file it should be different if the file come from Kermit or from DECnet, but I don't have any knowledge on structure PD11 file and the coverter command.
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

Try a DMP TI:=filename/BL:0:0/HD for the good and bad files and compare those. Check especially for F.RTYP, F.RATT, and F.RSIZ.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Pietro60,

To the best of my recollection, there is no SHORT command in the distributed version of any of the RSX-11 systems.

What information do you have on the SHORT command?

pietro60
Advisor

Robert,

Sorry, the command is SORT ...

RBrown.

you are right, it is differente the following data:
F.RSIZ, F.HIBK, F.EFBK, F.FFBY and (REST), but I don't know what means this parameters and I can do.