5031 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Decnet Phase V Question

Warren G Landrum
Frequent Advisor

Decnet Phase V Question

Guys,

I've got Decnet Phase V installed on a 2-node Integrity Cluster, VMS 8.3. Having a problem with Set Host. When I 'Set Host 0' or Set Host anywhere, it works fine from one node. But if I do the same commands, Set Host 0 or Set Host anynode from the other node, this is what I get:

BHBO2>set h bhbo1
%RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation

BHBO2>set h 0
%RMS-F-DEV, error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation

I'm thinking I've got Decnet config screwed up somehow.

I just now saw that I only had a NET$PROXY. DAT in the root of the node that is NOT allowing me to set host, so I copied this to the sys$common:[sysexe] dir and redefined that logical on both nodes to point explicitly to sys$common:[sysexe]net$proxy.dat instead of to sys$system:net$proxy.dat, since I wasn't able to delete the copy from the root since it was being used.

So I may have multiple problems going on here caused by improper configuration by me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Warren

20 REPLIES 20
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Re: Decnet Phase V Question

It's Friday evening in Sweden right now, so
my fast anwser is to run

$ @sys$manager:net$configure basic
( option number 1 ( entire configuration ))

to reconfig DECnet.

It will use current configuration as defaultanswer on all questions.

Hakan

ps. DECnet is like Printers.....no one wants to touch it ;-) ds
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Warren G Landrum
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Hakan,

WHen I do that, I get:

BHBO2>@sys$manager:net$configure basic
Copyright 2006 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS BASIC network configuration procedure

This procedure will help you create or modify the management scripts
needed to operate DECnet on this machine. You may receive help about
most questions by answering with a question mark '?'.

You have chosen the BASIC configuration option. This option enables
you to quickly configure your system by answering a few questions and
using most of the default answers. If you would rather do some specific
tailoring of your system's network configuration, you should invoke
NET$CONFIGURE.COM with the ADVANCED configuration option, ie:
@SYS$MANAGER:NET$CONFIGURE ADVANCED

* Do you want to continue? [YES] :
%NET$CONFIGURE-E-CKSREADERR, error reading checksum file

So this does not sound good. Possibly I have a corrupt checksum file. Any ideas how to correct or get around this?
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

I don't recall ever having to do this, but I's look at SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSEXE]NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_LOCAL.DAT and NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_LOCAL_SAVED.DAT in the same directory. I'd compare the file creation and modification dates to see if they correspond to the last known reconfiguration of DECnet.

Might be a good idea to do an ANAL/DISK on this system disk just to get an idea of what kind of shape it's in...

Then I might try to rename the *_SAVED.DAT and then run NET$CONFIGURE.COM again. Do you know for sure that your DECnet configuration requires using the p1 parameter of BASIC or ADVANCED? Not that I think its coded in the checksum file, just wondering if you knew the details of your DECnet configuration.

Bill
Bill Hall
Warren G Landrum
Frequent Advisor

Bill,

Thanks, I didn't know about those checksum files.

Anyhow, I checked the date and times,and the date is right, but I truly don't remember the exact time. The LOCAL and COMMON versions of that Checksum file both have the same date and time, for what that's worth.

I did the anal of the sysdisk, and a lot of files, including NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_COMMON.DAT, had multiply allocated blocks.

I then did a repair.

Then copied the Local SAVED checksum file to higher version as new LOCAL and ran NET$CONFIGURE - with same results.

When I initially did the NET$CONFIGURE after installing the system, I did NOT use the BASIC or ADVANCED params.

Looks like i might have to call HP to get me out of this one, huh? Unless you have any more ideas - please, please !!!!
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Yeah, just checked my system and found, with a little help from $SET WATCH FILE/CLA=MAJOR

SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSEXE]NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_LOCAL.DAT

It is a VFC (DCL WRITE) file created on the time I did a decnet V setup for the box.

It starts out like:

$ type/page sys$system:NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_LOCAL.DAT
6%Local%SYSTEM%26-JAN-2009 22:14:03.61
NODEINFO:1.53,ENDNODE,49::,0,2,63.1023,576
ADAPTER:EIA0:CSMACD-0:CSMACD-0:1:0:0:EI/82558:1:1:0:0:0:0
ADAPTER:EWA0:CSMACD-1:CSMACD-1:1:0:0:DExxx/TULIP:1:0:0:0:0:0
:

There's that date.
For ucks I just randomdly changes a few values, but it did not return a checksum read error.

Still, I'd say rename that away and try again.

fwiw,
Hein.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

SET WATCH? Um, Ok. I just looked at the text of the DCL command procedure. :-)
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> SET WATCH? Um, Ok. I just looked at the text of the DCL command procedure.

:-)

Right. What was I thinking? I wasn't. Somehow I assumed we were dealing with a program.
It's just a crappy command file that does that 'make believe' error message stuff, while hiding the real underlying error.

"%NET$CONFIGURE-E-CKSREADERR, error reading checksum file"

Hah! Just a piece of string that looks like an error.

What it really means is that there was an EOF error on the first read... an empty file.

The file in question can be F$parse("NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_COMMON","SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE].DAT")
or
F$parse("NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_LOCAL","SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSEXE].DAT")

Cheers,
Hein.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Warren,

I did the anal of the sysdisk, and a lot of files, including NET$CHECKSUM_NCL_COMMON.DAT, had multiply allocated blocks.

Is your system disk a common system disk for both systems ? If so, you may have run both systems from the same disk at the same time without proper cluster communications. This is the most likely cause of getting multiple allocate blocks on a shard system disk !

To clean up the MULTALLOC errors, you need to delete all the files sharing the multiple allocated blocks and then do ANAL/DISK/REPAIR.

Consider to re-install OpenVMS or restore the disk from the last good backup, as you cannot trust the contents of ANY file, which had the MULTALLOC error.

Volker.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Rename the NET$CHECKSUM files and do a NET$CONFIGURE again.

The configuration will start from scratch.

If you run NET$CONFIGURE without option, "BASIC" will be used.

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........