108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Decnet phase IV with failover

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Decnet phase IV with failover

I setup the LLA device in lancp. The failover works fine with the IP stack and I can see the line failing over in lancp. I setup the decnet phase IV device (customer request to use decnet IV) by purging the ewa-* devices and defining the LLA-0 device.

When I start up the decnet (start/network decnet) I get the error:
%NCP-W-INVPVA, Invalid parameter value , Physical Ethernet address
Line = LLA-0

%NCP-W-UNRCMP, Unrecognized component , Circuit
Circuit = LLA-0

Itanium 8.3
HP I64VMS DECNET_PHASE_IV V8.3

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Decnet phase IV with failover

Did you start DECnet (IV) before any other
protocols (like IP)? Old DECnet expects to
set the "Physical Ethernet address" on the
interface according to the SCSSYSTEMID value,
and it can't do it if someone else is already
using the thing.

(Knowing nothing, I'd be a bit amazed if
Phase IV could cope with the LLA device, but
I've been amazed before.)
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

As Steve points out, DECnet phase IV needs to be the first network protocol started on the LLA0 device.

You'll either need to stop all network protocols and restart beginning with DECnet or, reboot.

DECnet phase IV works very well with LAN failover, as does LAT and MOP. See the System Manager's Manual, volume 2 at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/aa-pv5nj-tk/aa-pv5nj-tk.HTMl I have multiple systems running phase IV and LAN failover.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Peter,

DECnet Phase IV needs to change the Ethernet MAC address to the DECnet MAC address (aa-00-04-00-xx-xx). It can only do this, while no other application procotol is using the LAN interface.

Make sure to invoke @STARTNET before invoking TCPIP$STARTUP.

Volker.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

It was the order of it. Decnet did have to change the address and when IP started it already had hooked the address on the LLA device so decnet couldn't.

Been too long since I had to setup a new system with phase IV I completely forgot about that.

Thanks guys for quick response. Now to play with the cables to make sure everything flip flops on the connects and that the software follows the links.