Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decnet traceroute

Occasional Advisor

Decnet traceroute

Like traceroute in TCPIP, is there a any tool in DECNET to trace the route from one host to another? The MC NCP sho know nodes shows the next node address.
12 REPLIES 12
Honored Contributor

Re: Decnet traceroute

Sunil,

there is no such tool in the DECnet or DECnet-Plus product for OpenVMS.

You would need to use a sequence of NCP SHOW NODE x and NCP TELL y SHOW NODE x commands to manually follow each hop to the destination system. It will get more complicated, if you have both DECnet IV and DECnet V systems around.

There may have been a DEC-internal tool (DCL procedure) for this in the DECnet Phase IV time frame.

Volker.
Honored Contributor

As Volker said, mc ncp tell...
will draw a Decnet traceroute, IF mc ncp tell is authorized on the various Decnet nodes.

I remember a good laugh when I discovered, using this method, why a Decnet copy in Paris (about 1 kilometer) was so long: the path was France -> Hongkong -> UK -> France

:-)
Occasional Advisor

thank you.
Occasional Advisor

I am confused. Suppose If I want to get trace from, say Node X to Node Y what would be the command?. I am getting tomany option when i give a MC ncp tell command.
Honored Contributor

Sunil,

if you want to know the DECnet route to node x:

$ MCP NCP SHOW NODE x

This will show the next node, let's say 'y'

$ MC NCP TELL y SHOW NODE x

Volker.
Occasional Advisor

for me the next node is the decnet address of CISCO router.I am getting message like unable to connect to listener. I suppose this is because the interface on Router is not configured for listener service.

Thank you.
Honored Contributor

Sunil,

not all nodes speaking DECnet protocol are required to implement the NML (NICE or CMIP) protocol.

In case of a CISCO router, you might need to login to that router and find out what commands are available to obtain the desired information.

Volker.
Occasional Advisor

Thank you , I will have a look.

The old TELL.COM from 80's is here:

http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=27&id=6#article