108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Decserver 700 Crashes VMS Systems?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Veli K├╢rkk├╢
Trusted Contributor

What kind of VMS hosts these were? Some VAXen are halted using control-P ("big iron" models), some other are halted using BREAK (microVAX typically), some have choice w.r.t. halting method like

>>> set controlp enable

Pretty much all Alphas are halted using control-P so I suspect your VMS nodes were VAX, maybe the smaller ones which are halted either always or by default using BREAK.

If the systems allow choice, change them to be halted using control-P.

_veli
Susan Sweeney
Advisor

Veli,

Thanks, but three are alphas and one is an old VAX 4000-90. Volker had suggested I change the BREAK command to prevent a failure of the terminal server from taking the systems down again in the future. I think the terminal server sent 'garbage' that eventually sent a HALT or BREAK command to my systems that were connected to the terminal server using the CA (old polycenter) Console Manager SW. I need to be able to console connect to the system and send a break when I need to, but I also want to prevent another terminal server failure from bringing the systems down.

Regards,

Susan
John Lapchuk
Occasional Advisor

Susan-
The software came from our HP rep... Will ask the rep what the license limitations are, and if I'd be able to send you a copy...

JohnL

Network Access SW V1.3 for DS700-16 BL80-27 ROM V4.0-0 Uptime: 2 00:10:52

Address: 08-00-2B-3D-6B-DC Name: DECS06 Number: 0

Software: WWENG2XXX

Service Groups: 0

Enabled Characteristics:
Announcements, Broadcast, Dump, Lock
"It's not a problem unless someone sees it..."
Susan Sweeney
Advisor

Thanks, John!

Look forward to hearing what your HP rep says. I will see what I can find out from our people here in the mean time.

Regards,

Susan
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Susan,

here is a pointer to the current DNAS software, which is being maintained and developed by Digital networks. They are now at V3.2

http://www.dnpg.com/tech_doc_dnas.asp

Volker.
Susan Sweeney
Advisor

Volker,

Wow. Thanks! Guess I am a little outdtated here :)

Regards,

Susan