Operating System - OpenVMS

Re: Delete-pending Global Section with erroneous non-zero Reference Count?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Corcoran
Frequent Advisor

>Do call in somebody to investigate and to debug the application code

Ah, but there's not actually a problem with the code at all...

It's the documented procedure for the last data upgrade - it doesn't say to restart these server processes after recreating the Global Section.

What effect this has on these servers may depend on the data that has been added/deleted/modified between the two Gsecs.

I've emailed the developers and pointed out this (potential) problem to them, for them to explain what (if any) side effects there are as a result.

It may be "harmless" (though in an ideal world, one should never have references to "stale" data), but we may just get a procedural change out of it, if nothing else.

Not that the side effects to the application will be of concern to people here, but if I hear anything back within the next week, I'll post an update before closing the thread.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mark,

From your profile:
>>>
I have assigned points to 88 of 107 responses to my questions.
<<<

before you close the thread, maybe you can change that? Remember, if an answer merits no points, you can assign zero; which also removes the NO POINTS ASSIGNED.

Do take in mind, that every responder at least DID take the time to formulate an answer.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Mark Corcoran
Frequent Advisor

>before you close the thread, maybe you can change that?

I was initially just going to be closing this thread (for which I had allocated points to all replies).

I was aware that there are other threads which I created which are still open, and for which I have not allocated points to all of the answers.

Unfortunately, I don't live in a time-rich environment to be able to always do this (yes yes, I know, it "only takes seconds").

It was in my list of things to do, and I had intended to look at the outstanding points allocation in other threads, after closing this thread.

[You may think "well, you would say that", but honestly, that was my intention]
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>memory leak issue (see my other thread),

Your previous thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1442512

>for which I have not allocated points to all of the answers.

Your list of threads with unassigned points:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=BR863263&listType=unassigned