New Discussion юеВ

Deleting local host entry and changing IP address

SOLVED
Go to solution
roose
Regular Advisor

Deleting local host entry and changing IP address

Hi Folks,

We're currently in the initial stage of changing our production server's IP addresses (ES80, 4 ethernet ports, OpenVMS 7.3-2 and TCP/IP v5.4 ECO 5) and I'm currently configuring our test server (ES40, 3 ethernet ports, OpenVMS 7.3-2 and TCP/IP v5.4 ECO 5) to test this activity. Currently, our production servers have 2 IP addresses (only 1 is used majority of the time, the other is just for backup), which we can connect to individually (not in FailSafe or LANFailover).

1. Do I need to restart my TCP/IP services if I will be changing the IP address of the secondary interface (backup)? My current strategy is to change this first, then just ask the users to connect to this new IP address once changed, then change the old primary IP address to a new one.

2. Aside from TCPIP$CONFIG, is there a faster way of changing my IP address, i.e. command line? I've checked on the VMS forums already and TCPIP$CONFIG has been the suggested procedure so far. I'm planning to put this on a script, hopefully.

3. While setting up our test server, I have been unable to simulate our production server's setup as it seems that my 2 IP addresses are pointed to the same server name on my local host database. How can I remove an IP address from a defined hostname? I've tried several ucx set host commands already but I am not able to successfully do this. Please see attachment of what I am trying to do here.
4 REPLIES 4
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Deleting local host entry and changing IP address

Hello,

1. You do not need to restart TCP/IP Services.

2. You can use:

TCPIP SET NOINTERFACE
TCPIP SET INTERFACE
TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION NOINTERFACE
TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION INTERFACE

commands directly. TCPIP$CONFIG only uses the latter two, so if you want to change your configuration without restarting TCP/IP Services, you have to use the first two directly. I advise you to read the docs carefully first, though!

3. I have no answer for this. It looks like a corruption in the TCPIP$HOST file. As far as I know, no process keeps TCPIP$HOST open, so you could create a command file to delete and recreate it.

HTH,

Bart Zorn
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,
For deleting an entry in the localhost database, use the TCPIP SET NOHOST command.
Enclose the host name in double quotes.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Martin Hughes
Regular Advisor

$ TCPIP SET NOHOST "137.55.171.238"
For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels, each delved into a hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall was a gate. (J.R.R. Tolkien). Quote stolen from VAX/VMS IDSM 5.2
roose
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your help guys!