1752794 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Departing paradise - OpenVMS

John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Departing paradise - OpenVMS

Well it appears that OpenVMS has nearly come to its end-of-life here and the powers that be are having us move to multiple flavors of unix {shrug}.

There are several applications written in DEC C & Digital FORTRAN running on Alpha/VMS 7.3-2. As a system admin I'll be moving over to HP-UX side and I'd like know, from this illustrious group, if HP offers any migration tools/facilities I can offer to our programmers to go from VMS to HP-UX. Again the programs to port are currently written in DEC C and Digital FORTRAN.
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."
15 REPLIES 15
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

John,

As far as the DEC C goes there are some compiler switches which could help with the migration.

/WARN=ENABLE=PORTABLE is just one in particular which would help to highlight issues in the C which the HP-UX compilers might not like.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

John,
The newest FORTRAN compiler on VMS has the /WARNINGS qualifier, that can be used to signal informationals and warnings concerning non-standard features used. This can be helpful.
However, if your code contains explicit references to system services and/or RTL-routines, you have to find the equivalent routines for HP-UX.
You might find the following worth reading...

http://www.bo.infn.it/alice/alice-doc/mll-doc/migvms/migvms.html

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies so far. I've got about 2/3 of the answer. Doesn't HP offer some kind of migration program like they did w/ PDP to VAX & VAX to Alpha and now Alpha to Itanium? Except OpenVMS to unix?
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

I forgot to add:
I am trying to sell the idea, of porting the app. to HP-UX instead of Solaris, to the supporting programing group and I'd like to make it as palatable as possible.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

John,
Although I did not find any reference to VMS on
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/324652-0-0-0-121.html
it might be worth contacting HP, since they claim they can help their customers to "transition to HP-UX" from any environment.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Since VMS can run on the same HW (itanium) at around the same price as HP-UX, it doesn't make much sense for 'the powers that be' to mandate a migration unless it is forced by an outside, third party, vendor. (of course, we all know sense doesn't always determine management decisions.)

For example, oracle is still not ready on VMS itanium, yet HP will iminently stop selling alpha systems. In this case, VMS customers pretty much must migrate away - and the guilty parties are clear: HP and Oracle.

Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Tom - all so true. I LOVE my VMS but unfortunately it was Digital/COMPAQ/HP executives which have burned the bridges for executives here. Our CIO said to me, "There is no future for OpenVMS here."

{shrug} Oh well, time to move on...
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

INdeed, there are some sales people/execs at HP that should be fired....

There is relatively minimal difficulty to recoding applications, to be "portable".

There are also war stories out there, I can think of a couple of people that tried going Eunuchs (tm) after VMS, and failed and returned to the flock...

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

John,

Maybe I can add my personal experience. It is only one example, so I have no idea how typical, or how exceptional, it is.

I work as a for-hire VMS consultant.
"Some time" ago I got a contract for 6 months (+ 3 month extension option) to "keep the VMS systems running, while the company staff was re-trained in Unix, and the 2 main application suppliers ported the apps to Unix and/or Windows".
Well, the contract got extended, and extended, and...
In the mean time I migrated the existing apps from Vax to Alpha, and a few VMS apps where added.

The upper part of this story happened 12 1/5 years ago!
Several of the ported apps HAVE been rolled out, but until now only one got further than the personnel retraining classes, when they proved to be lacking stability, functionality, and/or capacity.

Current official line is: moving away from VMS ASAP (aiming for end 2007).

So, are your apps of-the-shelf stuff or custom made? If the latter, have the ports already been demonstrated under full load?

As long as you ARE still running VMS, maybe you should not dispair yet.

But, YMMV.

And if you really have to leave VMS professionally, you ARE still welcome for a visit every once in a while!
Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.