3352 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Departing paradise - OpenVMS

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi John,
I've already heard something like "OpenVMS has nearly come to its end-of-life".
Dying VMS is:
- #1 rated in Healthcare
- 30% of mobile phones billed in the world
- 50% of the world's SMS transactions
- 50% of the world's top Exchanges
- 66% of funds transfers
- Dominant presence in Lottery systems
- Leading supplier to Semiconductor manufacturers worldwide
Read here
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/openvms/10-25-05OpenVMSOverviewseminarbox.ppt

Migration is more work than compiling on new target platform.
Talk your management and them if they want save money running Itanium or they want spend money in difficult migration process.

Antonio
http://it.openvms.org

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I fully agree with Antonio.

Over here we are in phase out since about 10 years. The latest plan is to move the application functionality from Belgium to an application in the Netherlands. But this application misses a lot of the functionalities needed for Belgian law. So, development is needed.

And the application in the Netherlands is going to be replaced itself within 2 years ... by an application in Belgium. That will need to be developped by a team having a lot of backlog. And no knowledge of the VMS application.

Could take another 10 years. By then we will be one of the last Alpha customers.

Wim
Wim
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

John.

RE:
> and the powers that be are having us move to multiple flavors of unix {shrug}.

Have you or the powers seen HP's UNIX portability initiative page ?

Link:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/portability/index.html

Especially the goals. I believe a GNV update is due very soon (if not already out).

We use ISVs that will be looking at porting software to VMS as a result of this.

John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

My main point is that at a business level, if oracle is not ready on VMS itanium, VMS itanium is not ready. HP has screwed the pooch (in this case, feel free to substitute 'VMS customer' for 'pooch') by accelerating the discontinuation of alpha while fundamental apps are not yet available, and by not making it a top priority to insure that an app as critical as oracle was available at this late stage of the game.

VMS (and thus HP - most people won't go to HP-UX after feeling ill-treated) will be losing big projects because of this.

It's sad because the VMS engineering team has done such a phenomenal job with VMS itanium, and, in general, with recent releases of VMS.
The VMS itanium development seminars are also fantastically done, so it's a little surprising that oracle is so delayed.

Obviously, oracle corp. is at fault, but it's ultimately HP's responsibility to push their platforms. This is marketing 101, but HP has so many marketing resources allocated to windows, something they don't even produce, the rest is streched thin.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

I sense, in your responses, the same heart-felt sentiments about VMS which I have stated repeatedly around here, but alas on deaf ears. Somewhere down the road they might regret their decision, but here they'll just go "full steam ahead!". However, I'll be retired then and won't care. Thank you all for your input. John Abbott, although your link is in the opposite (albeit correct) direction, I can really use that to point our programmers toward something and Kris yep I will contact HP support.

Farewell my fellow VMS fans
(at least here at work. Home I have 2 alpha servers ├в WOOT)
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Stay true to the cause! Thank you all and everyone gets 1 point fo loving VMS!
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."