New Discussion юеВ

Re: Detecting restart in SYSTARTUP_VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Robert,

did you check on systems that were recently rebooted and had not yet created a new version of OPERATOR.LOG (with REPLY/LOG) ?

I've checked 3 systems here (VAX, Alpha, I64) and they all show the shutdown message at the bottom of OPERATOR.LOG.

Volker.
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

Here's what I found out -- it is possible through the use of OPC$LOGFILE_CLASSES to control which messages do and don't go into the OPERATOR log. It is possible to have a setup on one node in a cluster where not all classes of messages go into the log. I've used this especially on satellite systems to limit the used of disk space for log files -- leaving most of that to the boot servers where most of the activity is logged. Also, sometimes I've set systems up so that network logging is restricted to being handled by the DECnet and TCPIP internal logging facilities in separate logfiles. Also it doesn't always make sense to be chewing up disk space for audit journals AND sending security events to the plain text operator log. I prefer to have the security events only in the audit journal.

In any case, in the default configuration, it appears that the shutdown requested messages will be at the tail end of the operator log file if there is a normal shutdown sequence.

I wonder what shows up in the log file if you just run OPCCRASH without going through the usual shutdown sequence?
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Robert,

the 'shutdown was requested by the operator' message is explicitly sent from SHUTDOWN.COM, so there will be nothing in OPERATOR.LOG if you stop/crash the system using OPCCRASH.

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

there will be a entry in the error log which is operator requested shutdown for normal shutdown or opccrash

I've decided to go with David's suggestion.

At the beginning of SYSHUTDWN, I create a 1-line file with the node name, time-stamp, & short msg. At the end of SYSHUTDWN, I append another similar msg (to indicate that SYSHUTDWN has run to its end).

In SYSTARTUP, if the file exists I display its contents and rename it. If it doesn't exist, I send e-mail/page.

The time stamp in the file will let me show amount of down time (if desired) for a regular shutdown.

Thanks to everyone.

This thread can be closed.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Jack,

since _YOU_ are the author, _YOU_ are the only one that can close the thread.

Please, before closing, assign any unassigned answers.
Even if you decide they merit no points, then still assign 0 (zero) points.

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Jack Trachtman
Super Advisor

Thread is closed