New Discussion юеВ

Differences between different TCPIP queues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marcos Llano
Occasional Advisor

Differences between different TCPIP queues

Hi everyone!
At my workplace we have basically two different kind of queue: LAT and TCP. All works fine but looking I've seen that we have different kind of TCP queue. Specifically thrree: TCPIP$LPD_SMB, UCX$TELNETSYM & TCPIP$TELNETSYM.
Apparently everything works at the same way
What's the difference between these three?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Differences between different TCPIP queues

This page at process.com
http://www.process.com/techsupport/multinet/793/3.html

pretty well explains the difference between the LPD and reverse telnet protocols.

The difference between UCX$* and TCPIP$* symbionts is their software version: UCX was the original name of Digitals TCPIP stack on VMS, from V5.0 on it was called TCPIP services for VMS and the files/program names prefixed by TCPIP$.
Your different queues using UCX$Telnet and TCPIP$telnet symbionts probably have been created before and after a software version update.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Deja Vu

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Print-Queue-vs-Server-Queue/m-p/5185888#M26638

As for your question...

TCPIP$LPD_SMB TCP/IP Services V5 or later, Line Printer Daemon, for host served printers.

UCX$TELNETSYM TCP/IP Services (UCX prefix) prior to V5.0, telnet symbiont.

TCPIP$TELNETSYM, ibid, V5.0 and later, TCPIP prefix.

And in general...

Host-served printers are comparatively problematic. Folks that buy these are either dealing with a very special printer, or are operating with an environment where the budgets assume a (fictional) disconnect between the hardware acquisition costs and the staffing and support costs. Routing printing through other hosts is more complex to configure, manage and support than are network-attached printers. The costs of the NIC are marginal. The costs of configuring and supporting "routed" printing services are not.

Google can be your friend.

Use site:itrc.hp.com and keywords to direct Google to search for keywords and previous questions here in the ITRC subdomain of HP.COM.

Use site:h71000.www7.hp.com and keywords to search the OpenVMS documentation shelves.

Marcos Llano
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Joseph and Hoff. Now i understand the differences.
About UCX$ and TCPIP$ more or less suspect that the version of the TCP have something yo say.
About LPD_SMB and TELNETSYM now I have a better idea between each one. Basically the firts one is a client/server symbiont and the other a client symbiont. More or less the same at Windows world, where you can have a print server where you configure the queue or a local queue.

Thanks for your help and the documentation!
Marcos Llano
Occasional Advisor

With the explication and links I have all that I need to understand the differences between each TCPIP queues