New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk File Optimizer Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Lisa,

Then maybe it is a good idea to do an Image backup of the disk, boot from a CD and re-initialize the disk and rebuild the disk from the image backup. It may be that your disk is just too fragmented for DFO to do anything with it.

If you cannot do that then possibly try doing a defrag file on each file listed as the Most Fragmeneted File on the defrag report. So you would start with a defrag file on [CSWS.APACHE.SPECIFIC.NEOMN2.NEOMIN.ORG.LOGS]SSL_ENGINE_LOG.;1 and then try to defrag the volume. If it doesn't work, do a defrag report and repeat the process.

Best bet would be to rebuild from an image backup though.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Phillip, I concur with an image backup/restore to eliminate the fragmentation.

Lisa, look at the options with defrag volume such as /consolidate to consolidate the free space into as large a piece as possible. Doing a simple defrag just defragments the files as best as possible, but can lead to terribly fragmented free space.

Also look at the docs/release notes for qualifiers to increase various quotas for defrag. I am away from my docs at the moment, but I recollect having to increase some quotas to handle very large or very fragmented disks.
Lisa Collins
Advisor

That was a good idea to try the defrag one file at a time......but unfortunately it didn't work. We will reboot the server before the users come in tomorrow and see if that helps. I'll let you know. Thanks for the suggestions!
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Lisa,

please have a look at the following article in Ask Compaq:

[DFO] How To Obtain More Info. On DFO Script Failure, DFG-W-UNRECOVERR

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CHAMP_SRC000608003514.html

Volker.
VMS Support
Frequent Advisor

I'm just about to implement DFO V2.9 onto our production servers as a replacement for perfect disk.
Should I be worried that DFO is not as robust as I have been told/sold ?
A defrag of production disks only has to go bad once!
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

@VMS SUPPORT
>I'm just about to implement DFO V2.9 onto >our production servers as a replacement for .perfect disk.
>Should I be worried that DFO is not as >robust as I have been told/sold ?
>A defrag of production disks only has to go bad once!

In Production, we've been running 2.9 under vms 7.3-2 since 7-JAN (2.8 from 9-APR-05), running various levels of volume defrags every weekend without any failures (accvio or %DFG-WEF- errors) or problems detected afterwards (from using anal/disk)

We defrag ALL of our non-DB volumes.

...But then our disks are never allowed to get as fragmented as Lisa's!

John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Dito, running V2.9 on several systems without problems.

regards Kalle
Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

I had problems giving the same error message (which tells you nothing). For me the solution was to increase the pagefile-quota for the DFRAG processes. It appears that by default they are too low.
To change them edit : SYS$COMMON:[SYS$STARTUP]DFG$STARTUP.COM and add or uncomennt the line containing:

$ CALL DEFINE_LOGICAL DFG$PGFLQUOTA 1500000

HP-support advised me to set it to 1500000. Ofcourse the account running the DFG processes should be able to access this ammount of pagefile-quota and you should have enough memory/pagefile space on your machine.

Jouk Jansen
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

To all,

please consider looking into the script's log file for the real error message, when you receive the %DFG-W-UNRECOVERR

See the TIMA article mentioned in my previous reply. Once you see the real error message, there should be less room for 'speculation' !

OpenVMS and it's utilities are usually VERY GOOD at providing full details for errors. And DFG does not seem to be an exception to this rule. You just need to following the correct troubleshooting steps...

Volker.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Lisa,

Can you post a copy of the log file from the defrag that is failing? I know you referenced in your original post that the log file showed "%DFG-W-UNRECOVERR, unrecoverable error" but did it show anything else? Use the prodecure in the article referenced by the link in post by Volker and post that log file for us.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.