5111 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dynamic Disk Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Bruns

Dynamic Disk Expansion

Our EVA3000 manager, by mistake, allocated an additional 25 gigs to our primary data disk for our V8.2 AlphaCluster. My assumptions about this are that
1) the only way to use this space would be BACKUP / DISMOUNT / INIT / RESTORE; and

2) the EVA can't just take that 25 gigs back without dire consequences to the data disk.

I don't need the space on VMS, and we aren't really short on any of the other servers feeding from the EVA either. And I really don't feel like blowing away half a day to rebuild that data disk to incorporate the space. So for the moment we're just cruising along with ANAL/DISK telling me I've got unmapped space on the disk, and SHOW DEV/FU having different values for "Total blocks" and "Logical Volume Size".

My questions: Are my assumptions correct? Is there any way that leaving things the way they are will cause me any pain in the future?
5 REPLIES 5
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Dynamic Disk Expansion

SET VOLUME/LIMIT does the magic. You will have to dismount the volume and mount it privately to do it.

Then SET VOLUME/SIZE triggers the expansion.

You don't have to rebuild the disk to incorporate the space.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

And, you could just leave things the way they are until/unless there comes a time when the space is needed. The system will be happy to ignore the extra physical space on the drive.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

1) on recent versions of OpenVMS, you can extent the block allocation bitmap as Robet has written. But you cannot extend the file header allocation bitmap, because the headers are located directly after the map in INDEXF.SYS :-(

2) correct. if there is still enough space, you could request a new virtual disk with the original size, so that you can copy without going through a tape.
Alan Bruns

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks, gentlemen!

-Alan
Alan Bruns

Thanks again...