New Discussion юеВ

Re: ENCRYPTION IN MAIL MESSAGES

SOLVED
Go to solution
RAVI KISHORE_1
Advisor

ENCRYPTION IN MAIL MESSAGES

I am using Vax Vms and in the dcl i am sending a mail to my mail id
I am trying to encrypt the mail in the subject line i am giving [PGP] but the mail is not getting encrypted and also I am not able to see the subject line and the mail is coming correctly.Can any one please tell me how to encrypt the email messages in DCL mail uitlity.
9 REPLIES 9
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ravi,

the VMS Mail utility itself does not support encryption.

There seem to be PGP implementations around for OpenVMS VAX and even a TPU macro for using PGP from VMS mail, see:

http://www.pottsoft.com/pds/pds.html

Volker.
RAVI KISHORE_1
Advisor

Thanks voller,
I am using a PGP encryption provided by my company then how i can code it in the subject line of the mail
My requirement is to encrypt the message file and how to code it in the subject line is there any syntax for that and what output i will get if i use the PGP encryption can i see th whole message or it will be blank.PLease clarify my doubt.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

I am having trougle understanding what you are really doing, and what you intend to happen.

If you are sending mail using VMS mail, and you are hoping that putting "[PGP]" in the subject line will magically cause the message to be encrypted, that will not work.

>>>"I am using a PGP encryption provided by my company"

Have you considered asking your local support folks, since they are the ones that are providing PGP?
it depends
RAVI KISHORE_1
Advisor

Thanks Jon
I am using the [pgp] in the subject line it is provided by my company and is the any syntax where to add the encryption to the file attachment especially in DCL Mail Utility is there any encryption.
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

If I understand you correctly the receiving end is expecting de (encrypted) file as an attachment.

You might want to check the mime tool (run sys$system:mime) for creating mail messages with attachments.

Oswald
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ravi,

note that the MIME tool is only available on OpenVMS VAX V7.1 (or higher).

As already said, VMS MAIL does NOT support encryption. You may be able to use some freeware tool to encrypt your mail and then send that encrypted file with OpenVMS Mail, but this needs a better understanding of what you are actually trying to do...

Volker.
RAVI KISHORE_1
Advisor

Thanks Volker,

The main requirement is that the command procedure that I am executing generates a report file by executing a cobol program the client needs wants the report e-mailed and the e-mail needs to be encrypted.

I am able to attach the report file to the body of the email message but for encrypting the email message I am giving [PGP] in the subject line Is it the correct way or not.The mail will be encrypted or not If I use it like this as shown belo

$SUBJECT_LINE = "[PGP] Encompas FeedRejects,Please reload"
$@MENU:NOTIFY "prgmname" "''SUBJECT_LINE'" 'R1 "''MAILFILE_SPEC'"
$ EXIT SAVE_STATUS

where 'R1 is the report file logical name.

I think it is clear now.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ravi,

all the handling of your mail is buried in the NOTIFY.COM procedure. We can't know or even guess, what this procedure does. Please contact whoever supports NOTIFY.COM at your site.

Volker.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Is anyone in the company's support group left, or were they all outsourced?
it depends