108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES40 remote access via Linksys RV082

SOLVED
Go to solution
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

ES40 remote access via Linksys RV082

Currently, we have ES47 AlphaServers configured on Linksys RV082 router for remote access.

Some of our ES40 machines were configured for remote access using Lightwave.

We have one ES40 machine which we would like to configure on Linksys RV082 for remote access. According to HP this cannot be done because ES40 does not have the server management port (as in ES47).

I wonder if remote access will work if we connect ES40 to the Linksys router using the serial~utp adapter, like what we did on the ES40 to Lightwave connection.

Has anyone done this so far?
3 REPLIES 3
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

Assuming that you are talking about console access, don't you think you would have a protocol problem here? You could connect the ES40 console port to a terminal/console server first (an old DECserver 700 or equivalent, or a Digi Passport, etc.) then connect the console server to the Linksys router. That would probably work.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

IFX,

There is no direct way to connect the console of an ES40 to ethernet. All the ports on the Linksys RV082 are ethernet. Therefore, you can't use the Linksys RV082 to connect to the ES40 console (which uses RS232).

I am not familiar with the "Lightwave" product you were using to provide console access to the ES40. A Google search did find a Lantronix console manager called Lightwave, so that is what I will assume you meant.

The ES47 has a built in telnet server, but due to the inflexibility of the design, the IP address can't be set. Therefore, the need for the "NAT box", to allow the fixed IP address to be mapped to something else.

However, the NAT box provides no security, and the console access is via Telnet, which isn't secure. Therefore, the need for a front end box (Alphaserver Management Station) to provide protection before the NAT box. In my opinion, the ES47/ES80 etc. console support is quite lacking compared to the HP unix mp console.

I don't know what you mean by "serial~utp adapter", but if you mean a passive rs232 connector with an RJ45 (e.g. Modtap), that won't convert ethernet signals to rs232 asynch. What you need is some sort of a terminal server.

While at the Lantronix site, I did see they have some devices specifically meant for secure remote access to console ports. They have 1/2/4 port devices (SCS100/SCS200/SCS400) and 8/16/32/48 port (SLC 8/16/32/48) devices. They support SSH access and port logging to a syslog server, and other features are listed. I have never used one, so I don't know how well it works.

Here's a link to the products: http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/console-servers/

Jon
it depends
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

IFX,

I agree with John and Edgar, a terminal server of some form is required to enable remote access to the serial RS-232 console port,. This can be done, and has been done commonly.

One does need to check the documentation for both the terminal server and the ES40 carefully, as I have seen some interesting wiring requirements.

It would be a good idea if the terminal server selected supported SSH, and remember to take note of the recent issues regarding the generation of certificates using SSH keys (and I recommend the use of certificates signed by a general Certification Authority, the cost is a pittance compared to the risks of self-signing certificates).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com