Operating System - OpenVMS
1748142 Members
3561 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES47 interface for IBM RS6262 HS Line Printer?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Assuming you don't go for the model conversion or for the retrofit NIC...

The classic band printers are still around but are increasingly specialized (read: costly).

You'll want a network interface. Avoid acquiring a new printer with a serial or a parallel interface. A printer with a NIC is easier to manage, easier to install, and it's platform independent. The cost savings of the non-NIC interface are very quickly exceeded during the installation and operation, in my experience.

There are tractor-feed laser printers. MicroPlex has various models, and I expect there are other vendors.

As for classic band printers and line matrix printers, Dataproducts (now a division at Ricoh) and Printronix are vendors in this market. I am not aware of an HP printer in this market, though HP does have a few "weird" printers.

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

Do you have DCPS installed ?..... and a Duplex Printer ?

The demand for striped, chained and tractorfeed paper could just be an old habit.

A listfile printed using DCPS with parameter landscape and duplex will look just like a tractorfed list ( DCPS will do the striping ).

Could be worth trying.......

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Hoff,

Thanks for the great ideas for some web searches. I'm looking to head in the NIC direction for just the reason you've cited.
Thanks again for voicing your ideas.

Hakan,

I don't have DCPS installed - I need to go check our contract and see how much it'll cost to use. I'm assuming we nevered ordered it, since we've never installed it.

I follow your thoughts on the old-habit, but have to make sure I don't "break" any manual processes by trying to switch (acc'ting tends to be set in their ways).

Thank you both for your time & thoughts,
Rich
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

You don't need a special license for DCPS any more.....so NO extra cost ;-)

Hakan

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

and.....if you need help with DCPS, just send me a mail. I have worked/supported DCPS since the beginning.

Hakan
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

and.... installing DCPS will not break anything. It's just another printsymbiont.
( DCPS$SMB.EXE )

/Hakan
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Hakan,

Thank you for the information. I'll have to get my distribution out and check it out - I know it allows working with INFOPRINT printers, so it'll open up some options for printer types.

I will take you up on the offer for help if I run into trouble.

Thanks again!
Rich
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

Just one more thing about DCPS so you don't start in the wrong end...

DCPS takes almost any input and converts it to PostScript. You need a PS-printer at the end.

Hakan
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Hakan,

Thank you for the warning - it's important to know that it expects a PostScript printer for the output (granted, the prod name *is* DCPS, but nothing says it's the *only* output it generates).

Thanks again,
Rich
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

As an FYI:

Looking at possible alternatives, I've found the TallyGenicom T6218 (1800 lpm) and the IBM 6500 (1800 lpm) both using an optional wireless setup.

You can print ASCII to both without any special software required. That let's me print .txt files from Cache - works in my case.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts,
Rich