108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4000 LUN Expansion on VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

EVA 4000 LUN Expansion on VMS

Can anyone confirm or deny the following LUN/Vdisk expansion procedure works non-destructively on VMS 7.3 on an EVA 4000?

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_9349.html

To enable Dynamic Volume Expansion (DVE) on an existing disk volume (available on V7.3-2 and later), dismount the volume and remount it
privately. Issue the DCL command SET VOLUME/LIMIT. Dismount and then remount the volume appropriately; remount the volume for your normal operations. When more storage is required, you can now issue the DCL command SET VOLUME/SIZE to resize the volume.
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

As the wizard writes: 'on V7.3-2 and later'
It seems you have V7.3.

regards Kalle
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

VMS 7.3 can use volumes that have been resized on 7.3-2 systems (I'm pretty sure). Since you are dismounting anyway, if you have a spare 7.3-2 system to which to present this volume, you should be able to do it that way.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

From the system manager manual:

'Volumes that use the dynamic volume expansion feature can be used by any AlphaServer or VAX system
running OpenVMS Version 7.2 or higher.'

If running V7.3, you could do the expansion also when booted from an OpenVMS V7.3-2 (or higher) CD.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

When you want to use the CD method, use an OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 CD, as there is a problem with the SET VOLUME/LIMIT command when booted from a V7.3-2 CD.

Volker.
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Sorry for misleading. We are on 7.3-2 and booting from local drives.

Thanks all for your confirmation.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Del,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 16 of 51 responses to my questions.

Some of those questions date back to 2004.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

PS. Zero points for this.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.