5039 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVENT LOG ON VMS

gunners
Frequent Advisor

EVENT LOG ON VMS

Hi Everyone,

Is / are they are logs etc that I could look at on a VMS 6.2 system to check events like failed disks etc and why they happened

I was thinking accounting.dat - is there any quick way / basic commands to interrogate this ?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

accountng.dat is not the right place. Best it can offer is a final error status code for a process that ran into an error.

Hardware errors should be recorded in SYS$ERRORLOG:ERRLOG.SYS

Current OpenVMS version put up ridiculous hurdles to read that file, but best I recall under 6.2, as you indicate, you can just use ANALYZE/ERROR. Check the HELP

Finally you may want to look at SYS$MANAGER:OPERATOR.LOG

hth,

Hein

[Edited to use the full word ANALYZE instead of its first 4 charaters which were **bleep**-ed. assholes.]

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Or, if your system was under maintenance at one time, you may have DECevent.  ANALYZE/ERROR for V6.2 did the job but was a little basic.  DECevent, at the time, had some slight advantages.  Search for DECEVENT$STARTUP.COM or try using the DIAG command. 

Both are exceptional when compared to the current solutions especially if your system is in a tightly secured environment or totally standalone.

bob

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Brilliant Folks, thanks , thats given me loads to go on - thanks a mill as always , I get so much learning from these forums