New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enable copying between VMS servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Enable copying between VMS servers

Greetings,

Besides, setting up proxy accounts on the VMS level and setting the host file. What else do I need to setup for users to be able to copy between VMS servers? This is a stand-alone VMS server environment. The version of VMS we're running is at 7.3-2 on ES45.

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Happy Holidays!!

Jorge
12 REPLIES 12
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Copy _how_? DECnet? FTP? SCP?

What's a "host file"?
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Since you mention proxy accounts, can I assume you want to use DECnet for copying? Do you have DECnet enabled on both systems? Are they in the same network (phase IV)? or do you have DECnet over IP enabled (phase V)?

Assuming a phase IV and DECnet available between two nodes:

$ copy node0"usera passwordb"::user_disk:[dir]file.dat node1"userb passwordb"::user_diskb:[dirb]fileb.dat

You can remove the node specification on the node you're executing the command from as well as device and directory. Configuring proxy will allow you to drop the user/password and avoid sending plain text passwords over the network.

Proxy accounts don't apply for ftp/sftp.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

As it has already been asked, I will not repeat the request for a complete description of how the systems are networked. The use of Proxies implies DECnet (Phase IV or Phase V), but the comment about "host file" implies TCP/IP (and proxies are DECnet related, not FTP related).

Personally, if I am setting things up with proxies over DECnet, I tend to define logical names to point to the other node, thus hiding many of the details from the end users. However, before I start posting examples, I would like to verify that it is suitable for your situation.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Gentlemen,

It would be DECNET. I was able to copied from Node B to Node A without any problems. Howerver, I am having troble copying from Node A to Node B for some reason.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jorge
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jorge,

With all due respect, my colleagues and I need to see examples of:

- the proxy configurations of both nodes
- the commands issued
- the error messages generated

Without the above, we are truly working not only in the dark, but blindfolded.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Too little evidence to call it proof, but
>>>
It would be DECNET. I was able to copied from Node B to Node A without any problems. Howerver, I am having troble copying from Node A to Node B for some reason.
<<<
this SUGGESTS, that one of your node decnet databases or one of the proxy databases is not correct.

Try copying to the
node_NUMBER"username password"::
in both directions. If that works, the hardware and connectivity is functioning, and the decnet config is the next step.
Replace node_NUMBER by node_NAME and repeat.
If that also works, it is in the proxies. If not, it is in the DECnet config database.

To go any further, we really need to know if this is DECnet IV or DECnet V.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Tony_289
Advisor

One thing you may want to exclude is to check whether you have been tagged as an intruder amongst the 2 nodes in question.

$ Set Process/priv=Security
$ Show intrusion

If by chance there are intrusion entries, then the delete/intrusion command may be applicable here. Can you or have you tried to do a Set host command to/from either node?

-- Tony
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

DECNet: you won't need a "host file" - this is TCPIP. I assume you refer to the DECNet equivalent. If not, no trouble.

Copy is just straight forward:

$ COPY ::

where is :[]. (Parts missing on the right will be copies from the source side)
can be a DECNet nodename, but incase you haven't registered the name, the DECNet address will do: (.).

For instance:

$ COPY LOGIN.COM NODE1::DKA0:[somedir]MyLogin.com

or

$ COPY LOGIN.COM 1234::DKA0:[somedir]MyLogin.com
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Jorge,

Please post the results from your commands and add the qualifier /LOG.

The commmand that fails will give an errormessage and the working command will tell us how the authentication is done.
Don't make it worse by guessing.........