Operating System - OpenVMS
1753923 Members
8093 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ending a session remotely to do some maintenance work?

ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

The only proble I get is that when there doing there work, they see the message output on their screens after they hit ENTER, but it goes away and after 5 minutes later they see it again.
ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

I want to put this into my notes if all you can please be kind enough to porvide the exact steps on how to create this message below using a command. Please post the commands on how to generate this ecact messge below please. Thanks.

*URGENT* message on RUEV01, from user, PYNSYC at RUEV03 Batch 16:44:55
ESPS SYSTEM CLOSEDOWN IN 10 MINUTES
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Homework assignment follows...

As for your report of seeing the message and having it disappear, that's how your local menu system works. If your menu system does not support retaining and repainting an asynchronous broadcast message, it will disappear.

Receiving an asynchronous broadcast message is not easy to do strictly using DCL. It's trivial to do using other basic techniques, such as using the presence and translations of logical names.

We'll save the logical name discussion and how to set up menus in a future homework assignment.

If you want to learn how to send out an urgent REPLY, might I suggest you read the manual, or issue the command HELP REPLY, or try some commands on an OpenVMS server where you are authorized to have OPER privilege.

The basic command necessary here is listed earlier in this thread. I would ask you to provide us with what you think the command should be. Homework or research, as it may. Even if you do not have access to a username with OPER privilege, you can show us the DCL command you think is the command that produces the command:

Asking questions is a start, enthusiasm is good, and gaining familiarity and comfort with documentation, basic concepts, and command syntax and command construction is next. Hence the homework.

ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

Can someone please provide me with a sample command line proceedure to do this message below and I will enter it to my notes? Thanks!!!

Please write down step by step on how to do this please.

David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Please write down step by step on how to do this please.

Step 1 -- read all the previous replies.
Step 2 -- read the documentation.
(as already suggested)
Step 3 -- read the output of HELP REPLY
(as already suggested)
Step 4 -- DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
(as already suggested)

What exactly is your relationship with this system?
Why can you not ask the people managing this system?
Why do you not want to do the leg work yourself?
Why do you want to be spoon-fed?
Why do you continue to ignore responses that answer
your question?

Dave