7664 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Erro on Oracle RDB - SYSTEM-F-ILLEGAL_SHADOW

bfraga
Occasional Advisor

Erro on Oracle RDB - SYSTEM-F-ILLEGAL_SHADOW

Hello,

I'm running Oracle Rdb V7.0-63 in a AlphaServer DS15 running VMS V7.3-2.
My application is written in VB6 SP5 and queries the data in this server. There is one query that returns the error:
%SYSTEM-F-ILLEGAL_SHADOW, illegal formed trap shadow
And generates a bugcheck. The error is random and not always happens i couldn't find anything wrong in my select, can anyone give me any idea?
My select is this:

SELECT FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ, FQ.NOM_ENSAIO_FQ, FP.VLR_MAXIMO_FP, FP.VLR_MINIMO_FP
FROM ENSAIO_FISQUIM_PONTO_FP FP, ENSAIO_FISQUIM_FQ FQ
WHERE FP.COD_PONTO = 1331 AND
FP.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ AND
FP.FLG_ROTINEIRO_FP = 1 AND
(FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 126 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 1 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 38 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 22 OR
FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 26 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 13 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 39 OR FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ = 42 )
6 REPLIES 6
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Erro on Oracle RDB - SYSTEM-F-ILLEGAL_SHADOW

bfraga,

this most likely has nothing to do with the contents of your SQL query. It's probably a bug within RDB.

If this return status (%SYSTEM-F-ILLEGAL_SHADOW) is valid, it indicates some problem with exceptions and floating point instructions in the instruction stream.

For further analysis, a process dump of the failing is required ($ SET PROC/DUMP), then you need to analyze the failing instruction stream.

Check for Oracle RDB patches.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

bfraga,

can you provide the traceback or bugcheck output (in an attached .TXT file) ?

Volker.
bfraga
Occasional Advisor

I have the bugcheck file, but it is too big (7 Mb), i can't attach it here.
We have already sent the bugcheck file to Oracle support and they said the same thing, we have to update the rdb version.
I wanted to know if someone has any other idea to solve this, because I can't update the RDB version rigth now.
If you want I can send the file to yuor email.
Thanks for your help.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

There is an Oracle Rdb bug or (potentially) an OpenVMS bug here. Best bet here is Oracle, but (if the bug is lurking within OpenVMS) it's still going to involve Oracle Rdb Engineering working with OpenVMS Engineering to resolve this case.

Here's a general write-up on what you're hitting:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/690

Load current ECOs for Rdb and for OpenVMS, and then continue with your discussions with Oracle.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd probably look to explicitly post-process that giant pile of FQ.COD_ENSAIO_FQ codes after a simpler query, just as a test and as a first guess for a work-around.

Check for floating-point use here, too. Make sure those fields are not FP.

But that SQL may or may not be the trigger. There could also be a disk or data or hardware error here; this SQL query could well be secondary to an unrelated problem.

Oracle might have some suggestions around the trigger.

Correction: when you wrote "can't update", you intended to write "won't update". Decisions around when and how to load updates and upgrades are always local, and are entirely under your organization's control. And the "payments" for local decisions around postponing Rdb and OpenVMS updates and upgrades (V7.3-2 is over five years back) do tend to have a habit of coming due at inopportune moments. As appears to have happened here.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

The RDB releasenotes for e.g. V7.0-83 mention ILLEGAL_SHADOW errors. So I suggest to upgrade to at least the latest V7.0 version, this is V7.0-9.

regards Kalle