108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error activating image ...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Klaus Heim
Advisor

H.Becker>>> Please, don't give up. We have opened a case by HP Support months before. The case is escaleted. A solution is far away. I got more help form the experts in this forum. Please, hold the line and let us look for the needle in the haystack.

John McL>>>
>>>Does file DSA3:[xxxxLVS0.][LVSLIB]SYSCOM.EXE
have FID (76514,5,0)?

No, SYSCOM.EXE has FID (3483,5277,0). FID (76514,5,0) is the logfile from the batch job LAS_FAKTURA.LOG.

>>>Have you checked for (a),(b)
It's difficult. I have no idea what to check.
>>>(c)
DBMSHR.EXE is our own code

>>>Can you get a process dump and examine the internal lists for the Image Activator and (I think) the image fixup list.
I can get the process dump. But I can't list the image activator or image fixup list. In an other case I have also problems to analyse the process dump.

>>>We're looking for anything odd, like duplicate FIDs or FIDs to images that we don't believe should be activated.
Do you believe that duplicate FIDs or something like this is possible?

>>>Finally, are you running any software like a disk defragger that might be trying to move .EXEs while you are trying to use them?
No disk defragger or something like this.

Please, let us start from the beginning. On Alpha everything is fine. On Integrity we have the problems. What is changed between these systems.

1. The OS and the whole environment (new installation and configuration)
2. On AXP there is 1 CPU, on IA64 there are 4 CPUs
3. The application (compiled and linked)
4. The database ADABAS is completly new.
5. The foreign application "ctmagent" is new. The host system starts with this agent the batch jobs on OpenVMS.

I fear, I miss only a little thing and got this big problem.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If the folks with the VMS source code and likely also with the application source code haven't yet resolved this, then it's unlikely that folks here (lacking one or both of these resources) will get to the bottom of this; that this error probably isn't a trivial trigger.

That this is a latent bug in the code, a nasty bug in VMS, or a software or hardware error somewhere in the system environment.

This case has been open for months?

That's, well, sad.

This on-going open-case status implies that most or all of the so-called low-hanging fruit and most or all of the obvious triggers have already been considered.

Has this case been escalated?

Talk to your boss, too.

And there are always options.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

ps: shut down three processors, as a test, and see if you can reproduce this.

SMP is a common trigger for subtle errors (in VMS, and more commonly in application code), and any application with writeable shareable images or global sections is immediately going to be suspect code.
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

I still think that it is better to have a look at your images and at the system. If you want, I can do that. Drop me a line. My mail address is (temporarily) in my profile.
Klaus Heim
Advisor

>>>Has this case been escalated?

Yes, this case is escaleted. First we opend the case by HP support. After some weeks I post the case in this forum.

Thank you very much for all your help.