108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error on BACKUP recording pass

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

Re: Error on BACKUP recording pass

I didn't see the trees from all the forest!

OK! I see the filename now and I see that it belongs to a FAX application, and in all likelihood the FAX application deletes the files on the fly! SO it is very possible that the file existed when the BACKUP first begins its list pass but has been deleted when it gets down to the nitty gritty of actually writing the file to tape.

Chaim
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Another thing,

Abbout SET NOON and the ON ERROR. Errors in backup are reported at the end of the backup operation. This is good because backup does backup of the files which are after the error.

When you have many backups in the same procedure it is a good practce to set the SET NOON. If you want a special report (like in yours procedure) do something like this:

$ ON ERROR THEN GOTO E1
$ BACKUP ...
$ GOTO B2
$E1:
$ ! do report
$B2:
$ ON ERROR THEN GOTO E2
$ BACKUP ...
$ GOTO B3
$E2:
$ ! do report
$B3:

etc..

Because is better to have something than nothing.

Bojan
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

BTW, my assumption that the error was occurring during the RECORDING pass was entirely incorrect!

Chaim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Assumption is the mother of all foul ups :-)

Now that I have basically diagnosed the problem, how do I solve it?

The problem is that these files are being constantly created/deleted.

Is there a way to cause these files to be NOBACKUP upon creation? I set the directory to NOBACKUP, but the files being created within are not inheriting this property.

Chaim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Chaim,
I guess you can issue the command SET FILE *.*;* /NOBACKUP before start backup.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

YEHBUT !!

That will only work for the files that are there just before I start the backup. It will NOT affect any files created while the backup is running! From what I have seen during the day there are files being created/deleted almost every two minutes!

In the meantime I have added an /exclude for these files, but I'd like a better solution.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Chaim,
may be stupid but ...
you could use /BEFORE qualifier as follow exaple:
$ NOW=F$CVTIME("";"ABSOLUTE")
$ BACKUP/BEFORE='NOW'/CREATED ....
In this way all files created after backup started are ignored (I hope).

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

"I guess you can issue the command SET FILE *.*;* /NOBACKUP before start backup.
"
... which still leaves the chance of entering new files between that command and the moment that the dir scan of backup reaches that dir.

Chaim,
the solution to this problem is a multiple ON..

You have now: ON ERROR THEN GOTO ..., which makes your procedure go to the error label and do whatever commands are there.

What WE do for situations like this:

$ ON ERROR THE CONTINUE
$ ON SEVERE_ERROR THEN GOTO ...

This makes a difference between "-E-" errors, like deleting a file between finding it in the scan, and processing during the actual backup, the recording pass, or the verification pass.
The "-F-" errors ( F for fatal, aka SEVERE ) are things like tape errors (position loss, for any of various reasons).
This way Backup -DOES- report the -E- errors, but continues with the rest of the job, however, anything seriously enough wrong to be -F- error (alas, on SCSI tape that includes a simple parity error!!) WILL give control to whatever you specified as error handling.

hth.

Cheers.

Have one on me.

Jan

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Chaim,

As you are not doing an image backup the /exclude will be yust fine. You can implement also Jans suggestion which will report only fatal errors.
Another possible way is to move the temporary directory out of the backup path.

Bojan