1752295 Members
4420 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error while running decforms image

Sheetal Shirke
Occasional Contributor

Error while running decforms image

The three following commands (that use the DECforms example in SYS$EXEAMPLES:) do not work the same way on Alpha and I64. On I64, no image is produced.

$ FORMS TRANSLATE FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.IFDL
$ FORMS EXTRACT OBJECT/FORMLOAD/REFERENCE=WEAK FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.FORM
$LINK/SHARE/MAP/FULL/CROSS FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.OBJ, FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.OPT/OPTION

After this command I got the error message as:
%ILINK-W-NUDFSYMS, 1 undefined symbol:
%ILINK-I-UDFSYM, FORMS_CHECKING_GETSYSINFO_
%ILINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol FORMS_CHECKING_GETSYSINFO_ referenced
section: $DATA

The image is created with warning message. But when I run the FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.EXE I got the error message as "%DCL-E-NOTFR, no transfer address"

Thanks,
Sheetal
5 REPLIES 5
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Error while running decforms image

Sheetal,

you're creating a shareable image with your LINK/SHARE command. It does not have a transfer address, so you can't run this image. If you would be using the same commands on OpenVMS Alpha, the results should be the same.

Volker.
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

A shareable image can have a transfer vector, but it does not require to have one. Therefore link/share does not inform you about a "missing" transfer vector.

That said, if you can run a shareable image on Alpha and you generate a shareable image for I64 in a similar way, that can be run as well.

The warning you see may point to a missing module, which also provides a transfer vector. Otherwise such a warning has nothing to do with activating an image or not. If it works as expected is a different thing.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Sheetal,

You are working with non-standard commands for the DECforms example.
I suspect you are mixing up some experiments .
Looks like you are tying to put the forms themselves in a shared executable and for the purpose of linking an runnable executable against those. In that case you should NOT try to run the result of the link /share.

Please first go back to the basics. Just build the example as instructed. Then tweak as need be.

Check out FORMS$DEMO_GUIDE.TXT and for example FORMS$CHECKING_FORTRAN.FOR
in
SYS$COMMON:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.FORMS]

The latter reads...

C $! Link the FORTRAN object, the forms vector and the shareable image
C $! containing FORTRAN Binding entry points:
C $ LINK FORMS$CHECKING_FORTRAN.OBJ,
C FORMS$CHECKING_FORM.OBJ, -
C SYS$INPUT/OPTIONS
C SYS$LIBRARY:FORMS$PORTABLE_API.EXE/SHARE

Good luck!
Hein
Sheetal Shirke
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. Now the image is created with the warning message. But while I run the image I am getting the error as "no transfer address". I am not getting which transfer address it needs.

Thanks
Sheetal
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I am not getting which transfer address it needs.

Apparently you are still not including a 'MAIN' program in the link command...

Using the FORMS EXAMPLE that would be a
FORMS$_CHECKING_xxx module where xxx is 1 from the list "ADA,BASIC,C,COBOL,FORTRAN,PASCAL,PLI"

What is the full link command now?
You dropped the /SHARE right
Why was the /SHARE introduced?

FORMS works just fine on the Itanium, except for a bunch of alignment faults with the original distribution. You do want to get the update for FORMS$MANAGER.EXE which was made available late 2009.

Good luck,
Hein