1748011 Members
4900 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Errors incrementing when rebinding RAID sets

Brent Weaver_1
Occasional Advisor

Errors incrementing when rebinding RAID sets

Hello all. I have a AS ES45 with RAID v3.0-135, VMS 7.3-2 with SCSI (JBOD) disks. Our raid arrays are made up of three member shadow sets. The backup we are using dismounts a memebr of each disk and forms a temp RAID array and backs that up. Each evening when the Araay is put back together it increments at least one error. I believe that these are "soft" errors for the DB is sensitive and I would know if there was real issues (I think :)....

The SCSI controllers are QLOGIC ISP1020 SCSI-2. Console version is V6.9-2. I have installed update v13

4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

What might be reported within the error log, if anything?

What command sequences might be used to extricate from and to subsequently reunit the disk member(s) back into the shadowset virtual unit?

EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

I'd be interested to know what backup product you're using. Data Protector, for one, increments error counts like there's no tomorrow (the agent increments the error count on the disk whenever the backup encounters a file marked nobackup).
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Brent,

on which devices does the error count increment (DKcx or DPAx) ?

Consider to use DECevent ( $ DIAGNOSE ) to look at the errlog entries.

Volker.
Guenther Froehlin
Valued Contributor

"The backup we are using dismounts a memebr of each disk and forms a temp RAID array and backs that up."

I hope that means using the "RAID CLONE" command. Using "RAID CLONE/POLICY=MINICOPY"?

Show me the true command used.

"at least one error" - Yeah, which one? C'mon, I don't want to start guessing games here.

Show me the output which indicates an error.

"these are "soft" errors" - In VMS lingo means what?

/Guenther