108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding the size of a shadowset

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carleen Nutter
Advisor

Expanding the size of a shadowset

I have a 3-member shadowset comprised of stripped 18gb disks. I need to expand it.
I have a 4 node VMS cluster, VMS 7.3-2. My disks are attached via a pair of HSG80s thru a pair of SAN switches.
I've been reading about Dynamic Volume Expansion but am unclear about something.
Some of my web-surfing indicates that to enable DVE on a pre-VMS7.3-2 disk, I just need to dismount it, mount it privately and do the $set vol/limit command. Then dismount and remount normally. Other threads indicate that, in order to migrate in a larger physical volumne, the initial shadowset devices MUST have been initialized with the /SIZE qualifier.
Can someone verify that DVE can be enabled without initializing; and, if so, does each member of the shadowset need to be dismounted, mounted privately, $set vol/limit, etc.? And does each member of the shadowset need the "$set vol/lim" done at the same time? or can they be done over time, say as a member is dismounted for a backup operation.
I'm just weighing my options and trying to minimize application unavailablity or avoid it altogether if possible.
TIA - Carleen
12 REPLIES 12
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor
Solution

You do not need to reinit.

dism dsa device (not the members)
mou/ov=id dsaxxx
set vol/limit dsaxxx
dism dsaxxx
mou/clus dsaxxx label

I would suggest you try using lda devices just so you can verify for yourself how things work with your version of VMS, etc.
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Oh, I didn't specify dism/cluster.

Before starting you must dism/CLUSTER the dsa device (my example didn't have /cluster)
it depends
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Our friend Robert Gezelter did a presenation (1512) at the 2007 HP Technology Forum in Las Vegas which extensively covers all details.
As suggested, he uses small LD as examples.

See:

http://www.rlgsc.com/hptechnologyforum/2007/1512.html

hth,
Hein.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

"And does each member of the shadowset need the "$set vol/lim" done at the same time? or can they be done over time, say as a member is dismounted for a backup operation."

You do this to the DSA device, which will write the changes to all 3 members of the shadowset set.

Anything you do to a member when it is not part of the shadowset is lost once it is returned to the shadowset, as the member is resynchronized to the state of the shadowset. Therefore, you can't do this a member at a time.
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Carleen,

Definitely have a look at Robert's presentation that Hein referenced.

Unfortunately, it does not cover what you asked about. It starts with "Set the Stage" init/limit...

Still, well worth reading and trying out the examples with LD devices. Also, the LDDRIVER kit (search forums for LDDRIVER) has some examples using shadowing.
it depends
Carleen Nutter
Advisor

Jon and Hein,

Thanks for your replies. I did see an earlier version of Bob's presentation, but as Jon said, it sets the stage. I'm already into the third act.

Jon's confirmation that a $init isn't necessary and that the $set vol/limit is done to the DSA device is helpful (not necessarily good news, thou, since it will make the volume unavailable).

I'll have to figure out how to test all this - I have no test system and my system is a high-availability, production cluster.
A very recent and unexpected change in our operations has me scrambling.
I won't have a downtime window to make any changes for several weeks - so will keep the thread open in case anyone else has any comments.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

This is off-topic, but I feel that with clusters, shadowsets, and V7.3-2 in the picture here, I must put in a plug for Host-Based Minimerge (HBMM), which was first supported on V7.3-2 with patch kits. Any recent UPDATE kit would have the requisite bits.

If you've ever experienced the pain of a multi-hour merge, you'd be quite amazed at a merge that takes just a few seconds!

-- Rob (a member of the HBMM engineering team)
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Carleen,

First, I would like to thank Hein and Jon for the reference to the session, it is appreciated.

This shortcoming was mentioned to me during the Technical Forum last week, but after the slides were already in could not easily be changed.

My first recommendation is to do testing and experimentation on LD devices. It is straightforward to install LD, and it is an excellent tool for testing procedures of this type.

I have been busy on several client matters since getting back from Las Vegas, but my information is that you can mount the volume privately and do a SET VOLUME/LIMIT.

Of course, the volume limit does not address the question of whether the Index file is of sufficient size.

This type of manipulation MUST be done to the entire shadowset as a whole entity. It cannot be done one member at a time (by definition).

If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Robert Brooks>>>This is off-topic, but I feel that with clusters, shadowsets, and V7.3-2 in the picture here, I must put in a plug for Host-Based Minimerge (HBMM), which was first supported on V7.3-2 with patch kits. Any recent UPDATE kit would have the requisite bits.

Rob,

Perhaps you could add a note to the "Disk to disk to tape" thread
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1136467

where I think it would be on be on topic.
it depends