New Discussion юеВ

Re: Experience with Availability Manager V2.6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Barry,

1 & 2, but "we" are (for all platforms) looking at moving towards configs where 3 would be just the thing. It would void another of the arguments for those that want to declare VMS unfit for today's enterprise.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Internal routers shouldn't be a problem as long as they forward the packets correctly. The data goes over an IP socket from what is called the Data Analyzer to the Data Server. Firewalls might be another matter. You can specify which port the Data Server listens for connections from Data Analyzers. Would this be enough? If not, what kind of IP magic is needed to go from point A to point B where you are.

Barry
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Hi Barry,

Options 2 and 3 are most likely to fit us.

I'd prefer to see Option 3 with ports well enough documented that I can provide firewall configuration rules. Another nice to have would be to be able to specify allowed hosts/networks to accept connections from.

We define services at the firewall and in TCPIP for services like telnet/ssh access.

Andy Bustamante
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Jeffrey Goodwin
Frequent Advisor

Initially we'll just need 1). I can see uses for the other situations, but right now, I need something that will run on V8.2 that will replace AMDS in our internal environment.

-Jeff
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Barry,

Option 1 applies to my environment.

Regards,

Bart
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Options 1 would fit here too...

regards Kalle
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The corporate network is sufficently complex that it can not be entirely trusted, therefore encryption and authentication is a must. ssh is fine.

Barry,

A bit of clarification please: Option 1) would still provide the authentication using the password provided by the current triplets implementation, correct?

-Jeff
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Some clarifications:

The security triplet system will still be in effect between the Data Analyzer and the Data Collector, regardless of where the packet comes from (direct on the LAN or through the Data Server).

The Data Analyzer will be able to connect to multiple Data Servers at the same time. The System Overview screen is reorganized a bit to show as level 1 the WAN/LAN connection, then the OpenVMS, Group and node level.

The Data Server will be able to support multiple Data Analyzer connections.

A filter level on the Data Server that has IP addresses or masks, and/or MAC addresses could be done. Is this an effective method of security?

Jeffrey Goodwin
Frequent Advisor

Barry,

>>A filter level on the Data Server that has IP addresses or masks, and/or MAC addresses could be done. Is this an effective method of security?

The Triplet based security would be enough to use the WAN version in my environment. Even if I was external to our WAN, we would still use VPN to connect.

I can forsee using the above features in the future. MAC addresses would have to included as IP addresses change so frequently.

-Jeff