108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

F$LOGICAL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ewa Skotnicka
Occasional Advisor

F$LOGICAL

Does anybody know when the lexical function F$LOGICAL was replaced by F$TRNLNM and if F$LOGICAL is still supported (but undocumented)? Or if someone could advice me where can I access old VMS documentation, especially release notes or DCL to check it myself.
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: F$LOGICAL

Ewa,

The $LOGICAL functionality (including the DCL lexical) was superceeded by $TRNLNM with the introduction of VMS 4.0 (cluster support, and a reorganised SYSTEM DISK).

Of course, being VMS, they did NOT break the $LOGICAL functionality. It is STILL there, but discouraged. AFAIK (anyone with definitive info please jump in) the $LOGICAL functionality is now implemented as a jacketed call to $TRNLNM.
We still have some applications (without source code) with embedded use of $LOGICAL. Can be rather clumsy to work with.

On the documentation part I only have my own memory, which is not really suited to posting here :-) although for specific details it usually is sufficient.

hth,

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

But they still use it in their own doc.

OpenVMS Guide to System Security
... f$logical("SYS$INPUT") then deassign sys$input $ read/end=next_command/prompt="$ "
sys$command ... This enables these users to log in at the OpenVMS login prompt ...

OpenVMS System Manager's Manual
... f$logical("SYS$INPUT") then deassign sys$input $ read/end=next_command/prompt="$ "
sys$command ... SYSMAN> ALF ADD VMS:.ZKO.VMSORG.SYSMAN.CLIENT1::SYSTEM FOOBAR. ...

Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, VAX/VMS V4.0 - the logical name subsystem was changed as well, which I'd say was the main reason for the change. I don't know if it is still present in today's documentation, but some system services for logical name handling had to be reworked as well.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

It's even actively used in current version of VMS. Found 156 matches in *.com of 7.3.

Wim
Wim
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

just curious.

How many of those are in TCPIP and other "recently" ported U8X-ware?
I too have occasionally stumbled over F$LOGICAL in places where I expected F$TRNLNM, but not that I recall in true "native" VMS stuff.
I would wish that those that do the porting would (before they begin!) get a somewhat deeper training in VMS, like the logical name system structure and the system disk cluster environment!
I still have nightmarish memories about the (already retired) SAN agent!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Ewa Skotnicka
Occasional Advisor

Thank everybody, have (a better) VMS we all !
Ewa
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jan,

Not in the tcp stuff.

Not acceptable are :

autogen.com, shutdown.com and all decw stiff.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Ewa,

I don't have the documentation or the client sources to confirm it, however my recollection is that F$LOGICAL did not support the use of the LNM$FILE_DEV (in table LNM$PROCESS_DIRECTORY; defaulted in LNM$SYSTEM_DIRECTORY).

LNM$FILE_DEV can be used to insert logical name tables into the search sequence. It is used by some products (e.g., Oracle), and is fully documented. I did a 2004 OVMS Technical Journal article which demonstrated what can be done leveraging LNM$FILE_DEV (the Journal article can be found at http://www.rlgsc.com/publications/vmstechjournal/inheritance.html).

My recollection is that current "superseded" version of the LOGICAL interface ignores the sequencing provided by LNM$FILE_DEV and is hardwired to search the logical name tables in the default order.

I do not have time this morning to check my recollection experimentally. If my recollection is erroneous, my apologies.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Bob,

no apologies required, your description fits what I know about it!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe