9191 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FC2354 Installation on ES40 running OpenVMS V7-2.1

Nidal Ali
Advisor

FC2354 Installation on ES40 running OpenVMS V7-2.1

Dear Sirs
I installed the FC2354 card on ES40 machine running VMS 7-2.1 but the wwidmgr -sh adap command does not display the FC2354 port WWN.

kindly advice where is the problem and how can I fix it. so I can see the WWN on the conole.

regards

nidal ali
Nidal Qashou
13 REPLIES 13
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: FC2354 Installation on ES40 running OpenVMS V7-2.1

Ali,

Support for SAN was introduced (very limited) with a special patch in VMS 7.2-2; and extended only in 7.3-2 and beyond (every next step with new patches).

So, you REALLY can only get it to work by upgrading VMS. At least to 7.3-2 fully patched, but then, if upgrading anyway, it is probably best to get current at 8.4. (or, if you are wary of too-new versions, 8.3-patched).

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but V7.2 really dates from the previous century...

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Nidal Ali
Advisor

Thx for your concern and help, but is there any way to solve it either by upgrading FM only without upgrading the VMS OS as this will be reflected to the current applications running on ES40.

regards

Nidal Ali
Nidal Qashou
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

I'll disagree slightly with Jan. OpenVMS 7.2-1 was capable of addressing fibre channel storage with patches applied the operating system. I installed more than fibre channel array on 7.2-1 Alphaservers. As 7.2-1 was dropped from support, later documentation reflected supported operating systems.

First step, is the FC2354 card a supported version? Check the actual part number, there were Windows Server 2xxx versions and OpenVMS Unix version, same "part number" with a suffix for different o/s if I recall. If you have a Windows/Intel version in your Alpha it may or may not be recognized, may or may not see your storage, and may or may not corrupt your data.

Apply the latest firmware to your ES-40 and hba. You may need to power down the system after this step.

Once you can see the card from console with wwidmgr, you'll need to ensure appropriate patches are installed in your VMS boot disk. Install the latest update, and fibre scsi patches. I recall multiple patches being required but the final version of these patches should do.

You'll need a support contract to access patches, even unsupported versions of OpenVMS.

You are running an operating system that's long out of support. The upgrade to OpenVMS 7.3-2 is easy install and brings additional performance gains.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Nidal Ali,

may I suggest, that you check the ES40 systems and options page for FC adapters:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/ases40/ases40_15_72_options_sorted.html#OptListHead

This page lists all SUPPORTED FC adapters for the ES40 and it also shows the prerequisites like OpenVMS versions.

Volker.
Nidal Ali
Advisor

thx fo your concern & support I check the FC2354 card HP slaes P/N its 261329-B21 where the ES40 data sheet state that it's supporting OpenVMS OS. I'll update ES40 FM to V7.2 and see if I can see the WWN using wwidmgr command from console.

regards

Nidal Ali
Nidal Qashou
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Nidal Ali,

the DS-KGPSA-DA (261329-B21) requires V7.2-2 and V722_FIBRE_SCSI-V0100 (according to the systems & options list), so don't expect this adapter to work with OpenVMS V7.2-1 !

If you can see the SAN disks from WWIDMGR and the Alpha SRM console, it's just half of the 'story'.

Volker.
Nidal Ali
Advisor

I try to find a link to download the TIMA Kit: DEC-AXPVMS-V722_FIBRE_SCSI-V0100--4.PCSI but I could not find that link, kindly can you show me from where I can download ou or if y.

regards

Nidal Ali
Nidal Qashou
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

The link above is for OpenVMS 7.2-2. Unless you ugprade the o/s it won't suit your system. This link http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/ases40/ases40_ds-kgpsa-ca.html, followed from Volker's link shows the DS-KGPSA-CA (168794-B21)would be the supported HBA under 7.2-1 in your system and operating system version.

This is the site to download patches but you must have a support contract for access. http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/search.do?BC=main|&pageOsid=openvms will get you started.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Nidal Ali
Advisor

I upgrade the ES40 FM to V7.2 but still the wwidmgr -sh adap command from console not showing WWN # kindly advice is there any way to define FC2354 and solve this problem with the current VMS V7.2-1 without upgrading the VMS OS as the OS upgrade will effect the current running application on ES40.

regards
Nidal Qashou