Operating System - OpenVMS
1753960 Members
7752 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FCP ring full. How can this happen? in the console logs while node tries to dump

intel - kriat-gat

FCP ring full. How can this happen? in the console logs while node tries to dump

Does anybody know what does the "FCP ring full. How can this happen?" means?
This message appeared few times in the console log, while my ES40 Alpha (using FC storage), was trying to dump.
Also seen in the log just before:
RING 2 FULL

No need to say, that after that, sump failed.
3 REPLIES 3
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Re: FCP ring full. How can this happen? in the console logs while node tries to dump

FCP would be the Fibre channel protocol. My assumption is that the system tries to dump to a device that is currently not available via the given path. But I am sure Uwe will have a much more detailed analysis for you.

Greetings, Martin
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

DECNet has something called a ring purger. Going only on the assumption that when something is full you generally want to purge it, this might be an avenue to investigate (though I am only guessing). There is an Ask the Wizard topic on enabling the ring purger at:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_2350.html

By the way, FCP usually stands for File Control Primitive, though I suppose it could also mean Fibre Channel Protocol.

Be sure to post the exact full text of the log messages and/or run them through HELP/MESSAGE.
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

The problem seems to be related with fiber channer adapter. If possible, try to replace the same . Else, contact your HP support representative for investigation.

Best wishes,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?