108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP Account, no privileges

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dario Karlen
Frequent Advisor

FTP Account, no privileges

i want to create a vms account without any privileges. it should be possible to connect and get/put files only in the default dir. which privileges do i have to give to this account, default are only netmbx and tmpmbx? i have an old vms system manager manual and i've nothing found in the online UAF help also.
20 REPLIES 20
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

What is your OS version and TCPIP (or UCX) version?
Did you try to create anonymous ftp account?
Run TCPIP$CONFIG (or UCX$CONFIG) and choose Optional components and Set up Anonymous FTP Account and Directories.
You can copy and modify this account.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

You need NETMBX priv. You also only need to enable NETWORK access (not batch, local, dialup or remote). Also review what's in your LGICMD and ensure it's protected (ie. can't be replaced/updated by the ftp account).

You should ensure you set-up the appropriate file protections/acls to prevent unwanted access into other disk/directory areas.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Consider also the use of Hunters HGFTP server
(see freeware at http://www.process.com/openvms )
which gives full control over the directories accessible, and the operations allowed.
Through logicals in the HGFTP startup one can define a list of directories anywhere.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Dario Karlen
Frequent Advisor

DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.0A
on a COMPAQ AlphaServer DS10 466 MHz running OpenVMS V7.2-1
on network i gave full access.
i copied the anonymous account. i can login on the system, but when i try to gave the DIR command, this is displayed: %DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening DSA2:[WAL.XFER]*.*;* as input
-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Maybe you will modify some settings of copied account. First, change default directory (DSA2:[WAL.XFER]) owner and permitions.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Go to this link below where you can download all types of latest VMS related manauls including "OpenVMS System Managers" manual Vol-I and Vol-II andTCPIP configuration manual.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os82_index.html

Also the TCPIP version 5.0A is very old, you can download TCPIP docs for Version 5.4 from the above link.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

This might help.

If you're "playing" away from Production try $ set security/acl=(id=[ftp_account_acl],access=read+execute+write) required_directory.dir (perhaps DSA2:[WAL]XFER.dir;)

Joseph makes a good point by recommending Hunters HGFTP server, I know of several people who enjoy this.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

what the protection on DSA2:[WAL.XFER]

Sorry, ftp_account_acl = ftp_account_uic - doah!