4839 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP Slow From Alpha to External Sites

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

FTP Slow From Alpha to External Sites

I've got a real quandry.

If I FTP from our Alpha's to an internal FTP server, I get an expected 5000 kbps.

If I then FTP to an external site, through our Firewall (Firewall-1) then I only get 30 kbps.

Ah, slow pipe I hear you cry. Well not really, cause of I sit on my PC and FTP to the same site, then I get 500 kbps.

I can't explain the difference. Why should one OS be faster or slower than another to the same site?

Rob.
42 REPLIES 42
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I assume you have checked for the popular duplex mismatch problem?

Are you sending or receving a file to your alpha?

Yeh, but the fact that we get 5000k rates internally rules that out.

I haven't tried pulling files from the Alpha yet - guess I could give it a try from home tonight.

Rob.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you are pushing files to the alpha then have yuo tried increasing the extend quantity used for the files. If the files are big then the default file extend quantity is inadequate.

Hi, check route setting on your alphaserver and trace path to the external site from your PC and alphaserver.

Petr
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

I'd guess the default send/receive buffer quotas on the VMS box are too small. The effect of the small quotas increases as the latency between the endpoints increases.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

The files are being pushed from the Alpha to a remote server (HP's as it happens).

Petr - why do you suggest checking the routing info. Is there a known problem with this?

As the problem is within the FTP Client, are there any window sizes/quotas that I can check?

Rob.
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

If I understand right, you have better throughput from your PC then AlphaServer in the same network segment (to an external site). Compare tcpip configuration between them (specially routes). Badly configurated route could take this slowing effect.
P.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Checked and both machines go directly to our external router, so routes look fine.

Rob.
John Yu_1
Valued Contributor

maybe the working set limits are too low?
Artificial intelligence is rarely a match for natural stupidity.