108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP Using SSL on OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

FTP Using SSL on OpenVMS

Does TCPIP services for OpenVMS support FTP using SSL? I am running OpenVMS Alpha v8.2 and TCPIP v5.5 ECO 1.

I found a few references to using SSH but the target system I need to talk to only supports SSL.

Thanks,
/Mike
17 REPLIES 17
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

see this page for details of SSL on OpenVMS:-

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ssl/ssl_doc.html

Regards,

Duncan
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Are you asking for RFC4217 support? Do you need support for the client, server or both?

I don't know of anything for VMS that offers it.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4217.txt?number=4217
Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

I am asking this for a customer who needs to xfer files from their VMS system using FTPS (FTP using SSL). I am not sure what the target system is except that it is running a tax collection application. They want to encrypt the data due to its sensitivity.

/Mike
Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

It looks like the customer wants to do something that is not supported with the VMS version of FTP.
Roger tucker_1
Advisor

Did you ever find a version of FTPS for OpenVMS (either a client or server version.) We need the samething.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

sftp (ftp over ssh) is available for OpenVMS. I've not seen ftps (ftp over ssl) around anywhere.

Roger tucker_1
Advisor

>sftp (ftp over ssh) is available for >OpenVMS. I've not seen ftps (ftp over ssl) >around anywhere.

Yes, I know; but sftp for IBM mainframe systems are very costly (from what I have been told); so they use ftps. Just about every other operating system supports ftps and now that OpenSSL runs on openVMS seems like that would be the next logical step. So, I'll ask again. "Are there any plans for an ftps server for VMS that anyone knows about?"
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Process Software is working on this for a future version of TCPware and MultiNet. Release dates have not yet been forecasted.
Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

No I checked around and did not find any version of FTP for VMS that uses SSL. The info on Multinet is news to me and may be an option for my customer.