4851 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fail-Safe loader

geir_2
Super Advisor

Fail-Safe loader

Hi,
I have problems to boot my Alphaserver 1000A. Could someone help me to get Fail-Safe loader.
What software do I need to boot from diskette, and run Fail-Safe Loader?

regards geir
11 REPLIES 11
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Geir,

The OpenVMS FAQ has some useful info on updating the firmware (section 14.3.7 and onward). See:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/openvms_faq.html

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

A direct link
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/faq/vmsfaq_020.html#alphasrmfw
firmware is here
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware/archive/alpha1000a/

Does this mean your AS100A fails to get to a console prompt?

To activate the FSL:
1. Install the jumper at bank 7 of the J1 or J4 jumper on the CPU daughter board. The jumper is normally installed in the standard boot setting (bank 1 for AlphaServer 1000A Model 4/xxx systems, bank 0 or 1 for Model 5/xxx systems)
2. Install the console firmware diskette and turn on the system. Two messages are displayed on the operator control panel (OCP) when the FSL program loads the diskette:
OCP Message Meaning
Floppy Boot - FSL firmware is executing.
Starting CPU - FSL firmware found a valid boot block, loaded the program into memory,
and is attempting to transfer control to the loaded program.
3. Reinstall the console firmware from a firmware diskette.
4. When you have finished, power down and return the J1 or J4 jumper to the
standard boot setting (bank 1).

Ian Miller

Thanks for the answer. That's correct, I can't even see the console prompt. Now I try to find out what the problem is.

Maybe it's a HW problem?

regards geir

PS:
The power is on, the led lamp is on, and the fan is working.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the procedure I gave earlier is for when the firmware has a problem.
Do you see anything on the serial console?
Any response to pressing return

Hi,
Thanks for the e-mail. The problem is that the screen is black, with no output at all.

The power is on, the led is on, the fan is on. And I still get no contact(connection) with the computer.

The guy that worked with this computer before, says that he had no problem to logg in to the system.

regards geir
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Do have something (VT or emulated VT) connected to the upper serial port on the back?

Is there anything displayed on the lcd display during power on?

Hi,

Sorry no solution, but as mentioned in another thread I have exactly the same problem with an AS1000A.
When using the FSL software from floppy, the system does not come further than "Starting CPU" (which I broke off after 10 minutes of waiting, or is that too short ?).

Very interested to see if someone has any further suggestions !
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

"Floopy Boot" in the LCD display. The reason is the jumper setting on J1. If I set the jumper to normal postion, nothing is displayed in the LCD display.

I have also tried to use both serial connection to the terminal. The ternminal type is VT520. I have tried different settings on the terminal (speed, flowcontrol, etc), with no success.

I hope that someone could give me some hints.

regards geir
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I talk with a colleague from Digital. He told me that I should not use Fail-safe loader. It could be dangerous, and and in worst case destroy the mainboard. He give me following advice:

1) Connect keyboard, mouse and external VGA screen directly to the Alphaserver 1000A
2) Connect a laptop to COM-1 on the Alphaserver.
3) Wait.

And suddenly I have contact with the console prompt. But after a minute or so, the computer crashed with following core dump.

Next time the same thing happened. Then I tried different configurations, without success.

At end I tried the original setting (advise from colleague), but this time I had no connection as before.

The computers behavior is strange/odd.

Any suggestions?