Operating System - OpenVMS
1748128 Members
3797 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Fails to boot - %SYSBOOT-F-LDFAIL, unable to load SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE, status = 00000910

SOLVED
Go to solution
A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Fails to boot - %SYSBOOT-F-LDFAIL, unable to load SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE, status = 00000910

Hi,

I backed up my system disk - OpenVMS v8.3-1H1 on an rx8640, and restored it on an rx6600 [it was not an image backup]. I used the set bootblock program to write the bootblock on the new system disk, and the boot_options command procedure to create the boot menu option.

When I boot of the disk, it starts, and then fails with the error:

%SYSBOOT-I-FILENOTLOC, Unable to locate SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE             

%SYSBOOT-F-LDFAIL, unable to load SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE, status = 00000910

And bugcheck.

I did google the code LDFAIL, but all I can find is a reference in the HP-UX Virtual machines release notes on setting up an OpenVMS virtual machine and setting the base page size.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Fails to boot - %SYSBOOT-F-LDFAIL, unable to load SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE, status = 00000910

Andrew,

you must use BACKUP/IMAGE to copy a system disk, if you want to be able to boot from it after a restore.

In your case, the system is looking for <SYS0.SYSCOMMON.SYSLIB>SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE and reports error %x910 = %SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file

Volker.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Fails to boot - %SYSBOOT-F-LDFAIL, unable to load SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS.EXE, status = 00000910

Recreate the BACKUP saveset correctly; with BACKUP /IMAGE, and preferably without the /IGNORE=INTERLOCK silent saveset data corruption qualifier.

You won't get the low-level structures recreated correctly with this particular saveset.  OpenVMS I64 needs the backlinks and those can be restored, but also expects the GPT and related low-level disk files and those likely won't work here, or won't be reliable.  (OpenVMS VAX and OpenVMS Alpha had far different boot structures, and repairing those involved shuffling some backlink pointers around, if the saveset was complete.  OpenVMS I64 low-level boot structures are more complex, and there's no easy way to recreate those structures in place on a system disk.)

Given you're probably cloning a production server system disk, you can also use a technique based on splitting a shadowset, presuming you can briefly quesce the system disk.

I'd also suggest reviewing the system management manual and related materials, as that discusses the expected and proper procedures for performing system operations and backups.  If you want to go "off-road", then you'll want to learn more about the low-level disk structures and related bootstrap structures of OpenVMS.

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your input. The restore did not recreate the aliases.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

It also did not recreate the low-level boot structures.

EFI boot structures != Alpha and VAX boot structures